primer bulb not hard...

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I pump the bulb and hear stuff moving, but the bulb doesnt get hard. I could also hear fuel pissing back into the tank when I squeeze it. Is this a bad bulb, I thought so, but searching the google says it could be something else. Any ideas?

RcknJD

Cadet
Re: primer bulb not hard...

The bulb should pump up hard without any back flow into the tank. Sounds like you thought a bad bulb .

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The primer bulb should pump up hard when you go to start a cold engine each day. Once the engine is running, but bulb will get softer, but should not collapse. That's normal. If the bulb won't pump up properly, it's likely that one of the ball valves is not functioning properly. Likely the bulb is bad. Sometimes those bulbs won't work properly depending on how you have the squeeze bulb oriented (positioned) in the boat. The flow arrow on the side of the bulb should be oriented upward when priming. If the bulb is laying downhill in the boat's spashwell, you can have problems with those ball valves in any bulb. Try reorienting the bulb before you purchase a new one and see if it makes a difference.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Make sure it is going the right way first of all, there should be an arrow and it should point to the engine, if it is still doing it there is a check ball in one end to keep it from back flowing and it could be bad, confirm there is no leaks in the system anywhere and if not it is the bulb.

Also it helps to angle the tank end of the bulb down a bit to help the ball seat, if you have a bad angle on it not even a good bulb will seal.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, I'll check it out today. I know its in the right direction because I just started having this trouble... Its been fine in the past.