price opinions please

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class
hey guys...and gals<br /><br /> ive recently been offered a motor from a friend its a johnson 100hp.honestly dont know the year but believe it to be about early 80's. overall the motor is in good condition needs prop work and a new throttle cable.ran good last season.havent heard it this year yet but sxpect it will need minor tuning and the few odds and ends.mtor has lotsa hours im sure no idea how many.moderatly well taken care of.so in your opinions what sort of price would you think would be resonable for this motor.planing to give up my old force 85 which has died and needs to be burried as a trade plus cash to boot. friend plans to trade whole boat and a van in for new car so i figured to throw my force in the deal so he can get another couple hundred on the trade(optimistic i know)so what would be a good price to offer him for his motor? i appologize for not having more info make it hard to give help but its what i have at this point.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: price opinions please

It's real hard BCO to help and not know the year. Best advice I could give is get the model number and call around and find who might have a yellow book to give you high and low market values for the engine. This is what the bank would lend on the engine and just go from there.<br /><br />That's about all I can tell ya'.

bob58

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can get a ball park price for the motor at NADA <br />Select "Boats"<br />Select "Outboard Motors"<br />need to find the year though.

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

went to take a look at NADA ty for the site ( still learnin ) i have narrowed it down a fair bit.according to this sight there are only 3 yrs that the 100hp was built in the time frame i gave 78' 79' 80' the price range was from $200 to $300. the force motor i inended to give as well as cash is close to the same range believe it or not the force was a bit more running from 250 to 350. but mine is junk.does this help shed a bit more light?hope so.personally think i will offer 150 to 175 for motor plus mine as trade,sound fair under the circumstances?wouldnt want friend to think i was tryin to cheat him but dont want to pay a higher prive for same reason.

walleyehed

Admiral

Bco128.....tough call there, Buddy. Do what you feel comfortable with....I don't think anyone here would want you to ruin a friendship over the deal, but I WOULD guess the Force to be worth 150-200 for parts, maybe a little more to the right person.<br />Ya got one that runs, and another that don't.....what's that worth??????