pretty dumb question

tbone1987

Seaman Apprentice
i am new to the site and love all the knowledge i am getting on outboard motors but i have a dumb question. i have a 1969 evinrude fastwin 18 hp. i just got the boat and got the motor to fire after cleaning the carb and putting in new plugs. the impeller was bad and i have new 1 on the way. i have found a cracked line that goes into my block underneath the fuel filter and goes into the block under the carb on the other end. i got a manuel from someone on here and determined that its a oil line. i am goin to replace the line but my dumb question is how do i eplace the oil i have lost out of the line. i ran it for bout 2 min in a barrel and shut down when no water was coming out of the tell tale. could it have hurt my motor not having oil to the block? how the do i replace oil being a 2 stroke the oil is premix. remember this is my first outboard repair and im brand new to all this. thanks for the info and please donty make fun of me. lol

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: pretty dumb question

I seriously doubt that you hurt your motor running it for two minutes. Two stroke engines are very durable and will not overheat that quickly.

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

I would just premix a few gallons of gas for the initial run. That way the motor is lubricated and no worries about the cracked line. Replace your impeller, get the cooling system working, and then run for a while on the premix. Watch to be sure the oil starts feeding through the line you replaced. If it does you are good to go. Don't worry about the premix at this point just run it through and no need to mix after that.

jonesg

Admiral

I don't know what that line is but its not an oil line, there are none on older non VRO engines.
Sounds like fuel feed or vac if it is equipped with a fuel pump.

I agree with jonesg. If it's a 2-stroke requiring a premix of gas/oil then there is no need for an oil line anywhere in the motor (it's already in the gas mix). You should trace that line to figure out where it's going.

AlTn

Commander

I think that's a line that takes the excess fuel/oil mix up to the center of the crankcase and feeds the center main..I saw that it's called an oil line...which I guess technically it is...do not run any nonmixed gas in that 1969 18hp.

kbait

Commander

I think that's a line that takes the excess fuel/oil mix up to the center of the crankcase and feeds the center main..I saw that it's called an oil line...which I guess technically it is...

Exactly. Just replace that tube and you're good to go. 50/1 premix is all the oil the powerhead needs/gets. While your messing w/it, get a length of 5/32" fuel line to replace the line from the fuel pump to carb. If it's had ethanol fuel run through it, those old lines are notorious for flaking away inside and subsequently gumming up your carb, as there's no screen past the fuel pump to catch the gunk.. Good luck!

tbone1987

Seaman Apprentice

thanks to every1 for their opinoin. i will definatlly replace the fuel line. i seen a very good thread in here about the gas lines. as far as running pre-mix gas, of course it takes pre-mix gas just like any other 2 stroke. i think that kbait and Altn hit it on the nail. thanks alot for the info everyone.

cr2k

Captain

It is called a Re-Circulation line. It takes any extra oil that accumulates and recirculates into the bearings in the engine. You can have a lean condition when these lines crack or break. Usually 1/16 to 1/8 in vacuum hose available from any auto parts store. Some are a real PITA to get to so I hope you have some long skinny needle nose pliers.