Prestolite to a Mando 51a

Brett Owen

Recruit
1994 4.3 Omc, Purple wire from starter to Excite on Alternator, both new Sierra starter and Mando Alt, with the key in the on position should i be getting amps to either R/PU or PU on anything? It seemed to me the PU/W going to e choke had power w the key in the on position to get the initial charge to choke and other related pre start necessities like coil. I tested the I post on the new Sierra starter no amps in the key on position. Starts up then quickly dies out. Rebuilt 2 bl Holley new fuel pump. Checked relays. Ran compression test 170-190 on all 6, scoped the barrels w mini cam all looked fine.
Thanks for any help.

Brett Owen

Recruit
from my original post, there is no assist solenoid on this wiring

Attachments

• Wire diagram 1994 4.3 .png
    Wire diagram 1994 4.3 .png
    2.5 MB · Views: 10

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You probably want to find yourself a real OMC manual for the model you have, What you are showing is from an aftermarket version like Seloc.

The voltage going to the choke is going to be AC so you won't measure anything unless the engine is running.

The fact that it starts and then dies out means that the voltage to the ignition is coming from the starting circuit and disappears once you let the ignition switch go to the run position. That's where you need to start troubleshooting. Make sure you man overboard switch has continuity.

kenny nunez

Captain
If you look to the right of the starter in the wire diagram there is a arrow pointing to the starter relay. It is just a square relay instead of a solenoid.
For some reason Volvo likes the Bosch style of relay.

Brett Owen

Recruit
I can't thank you enough for your replies. I decided to delve deeper into the engine for more discovery and it appears this engine had been re-built given the signs of missing bolts and harness straps not being re-attached. From what i gather, "Man Overboard switch" was not implemented in this 1994 Corsair 180 SL. I will obtain the OEM manual, in the meantime any help as to the location of this overboard safety feature would be greatly appreciated.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I can't thank you enough for your replies. I decided to delve deeper into the engine for more discovery and it appears this engine had been re-built given the signs of missing bolts and harness straps not being re-attached. From what i gather, "Man Overboard switch" was not implemented in this 1994 Corsair 180 SL. I will obtain the OEM manual, in the meantime any help as to the location of this overboard safety feature would be greatly appreciated.
It's at the dash either at the control or on the dash itself. Follow the wire from the "run" side of the ignition switch. It would normally run from that. What happens to your gauges when you put the ignition switch to the "run" position? Do they come on?