prestolite dist. advance springs needed

djvan

Chief Petty Officer
1986 alpha one,gen one,140 hp mercruiser engine sn#A678215 <br /><br />I have checked several marinas and local car parts stores and everybody keeps telling me no longer available. Mine are gone,I mean not there, missing. I know somebody must know where I could get these, or know what springs will work from a car application. Just now sarting to look online so maybe I could find some in the next little while. I had the distributor out and should have written the number down from it, but didn't.<br />Thanks<br /><br />DougV>

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: prestolite dist. advance springs needed

Ask your local auto machine shop for the nearest distributor guru. These people have drawers full of springs and the machine to check and set the proper curve.

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yup, no such things as marine advance springs, just ones to give you the curve you need auto or marine. Any speed shop should be able to help.

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys, I live in a rural area and don't think any such shops exist in the area. Maybe when winter comes I could ship it out someplace. Was hoping for a part number so I could just order some.<br /><br />DougV>

JasonB

Lieutenant

I have a similar problem in that my prestolite springs are there and working, but looking like replacement isn't too far away. I haven't found a source either.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Stinger313<br />Even with the conversion, you must have the mechanical advance working, which requiers the springs.

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes but for a few more dollard Pertronix (by the way, the correct link is www.Pertronix.com), they will sell you a complete billet marine distributor which comes with a customizable advacne curve.