Pressurized Fuel Tank Question

'57 'rude

Cadet
I recently purchased a 6 gallon pressurized fuel tank, along with a 1957 Evinrude Sportwin. Before using the tank for the first time, I replaced the tank?s gasket (where the top plate mounts to the tank with the eight screws) with a new cork gasket that I purchased at a local Evinrude dealer (an old timer who has a lot of parts for vintage motors). After using it, I noticed some gas leaking out around this area. The original gasket that I removed was more of a paper material. Is cork the correct gasket material to use here, or did I just not tighten the screws enough? Also, what material do you use for the washers under the screw heads? They almost seem like a plastic or hard fabric.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pressurized Fuel Tank Question

Cork is the correct material. However, it usually seeps unless you use some gasket sealer on it. Yes, the screw gaskets are some sort of plastic or fiber material. Just sock them in tight. Some newer tanks have o-rings under the heads. But the heads are dished for the o-rings.

'57 'rude

Cadet
Re: Pressurized Fuel Tank Question

Thank you F_R for your helpful post! I did not use gasket sealer on the cork gasket, so I bet that is why the fuel tank leaked.