Pressure Testing Specs

BobMaio

Seaman
I am pressure testing my drive and am confused by how long the drive should hold its pressure. Some people say 15 psi for 2-3 minutes. Other people say 10 psi for 12 hours. In my case I pumped it up to 12 psi and it held for 1 hour. I left it for 12 hours and it dropped from 12 to 10. Since there is nothing that I can find in the merc manuals, does anyone have a clear understanding of the pressure and length of time it needs to hold the pressure?

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I only pressure tested my drive to ensure there was no major leak at 5 psi. I also turned the drive shaft every so often. I’d say you’re good to go. I always drain the lube during the winterizing process to make sure there is no water infiltration, which is the real test. I also pull the drive every year to ensure I’m not leaking lube into the bellows, as well as for other basic maintenance. Obviously a large leak down in pressure would point you in the direction of the issue.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Pressure test for 15 minutes. Any longer than that may lead to false fails.

I test at 2 different pressures (each for 15 minutes). First at 2-5 psi (lip seals are at their weakest under low pressures), then at 15 psi (O-rings are at their weakest under higher pressure)...

Chris.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Turn the input shaft and output shaft when testing

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
I did 1st. time pressure testing
while turning I’ve got squeaking
Video, any ideas?