Pressure tester fitting?

Steven D

Seaman
Testing my back up drive with the pressure tester I've just built and getting a small leak around the fitting I'm using to connect to the drive. I'm using the plastic fitting that is also used for the gear lube pump. held fine on the first drive but a slow leak on this one. I'd really prefer to have a good solid (metal) connection here as pulling this plastic piece down tightly enough to seal is a bit dicey at best. Any thoughts on what to use here? Is this a standard fitting you can purchase? Local hardware store was no help...

Thanks,

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Pressure tester fitting?

Ayuh,.... It's 3/8"-16,.... I use an old Metal lubepump fitting...

A rubber o-ring might help what ya got....

Steven D

Seaman

If I were to walk into a store what would I ask for? It appears that its a 3/8 16 standard thread, but I'm looking for a fitting. Seems everyone is I've seen is using "an old pump fitting", but the new pump fittings are plastic.

After soaping it up to confirm the leak I tweaked it down till it stopped bubbling and its holding pressure now, 3 hours with no visible sign of drop off...

Thanks,

Bondo

Staff member

If I were to walk into a store what would I ask for? It appears that its a 3/8 16 standard thread, but I'm looking for a fitting. Seems everyone is I've seen is using "an old pump fitting", but the new pump fittings are plastic.

Donno Steve,... I've bought 3 or 4 oilpumps that fit quart bottles over the last 10 years,...
Only 1 was a plastic fitting,... I never bought another, but looked around for the Metal fitting...
Mighta been Napa I found it at, don't remember...

I used a metal 1 to build a gallon pressurized pump can for doin' drives... No more plastic pumps either...

JustJason

Vice Admiral

actually, of all places West Marine has the metal version of the fitting with an oring attached, at least that's where I bought the last one I got 3 or 4 years ago.

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found plastic at Walmart and metal at a local Merc dealer.

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer

I just bought one at West Marine a couple weeks ago that has a metal fitting.

I think it was about $11