Prepping surfaces with die grinder

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
I pulled the carb off and with a box cutter blade, scrapped all the gasket material off.

If you don't have a die grinder to buff the surface nice and smooth, what's the next best way to do it?

If I were to get a basic die grinder, would a 6 gallon pancake compressor be enough if going with short bursts? I realize you couldn't do a continuous run because the tank would empty faster than the compressor could fill it back up.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Die grinder? Are you sure about that?

What are you cleaning the surface of - Intake, carb or both?

Auto parts stores sell gasket remover and plastic scrapers so you don't damage the surface like a die grinder.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Razor blades or a wire wheel on a drill maybe a little sand paper always worked for me

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
never use a die grinder

at best, use a gasket scraper

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52000-Razor-Blade-Scraper/dp/B0002SR88C

61wkTMCuDNL._AC_SL1478_.jpg

or chuck one of these in a cordless drill https://www.amazon.com/Goodson-3M-Roloc-Bristle-Disc/dp/B0009RMAFM/

however never ever use a die grinder on a carb or intake to remove a gasket

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. I've watched UTube's about prepping the surfaces when replacing exhaust manifolds where some type of grinder was used to make sure the surfaces were clean before putting the new gasket on. I guess I was thinking of the same idea for the intake manifold where the card will mate to.

I've scrapped all the old gasket off, but some parts of the surface don't have that nice shine and maybe that doesn't matter in this case.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the only thing you do with exhaust manifolds is scrap them, unless the surface needs to be fly-cut. then you machine them

you do not take a grinder to exhaust manifolds either.

are you sure they were not using a roll-loc 3M disc to clean the surface? that would do the same thing as a bit of scotchbrite

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I thing the terminology is the problem here. Yes, you can use a "die grinder" but only with a very few attachments to clean gasket material off surfaces. If you get the typical right angle grinder, try some 3M 2" rolco scotch brite pads in the finest finish to remove stubborn old gasket material. It will remove the material and not any metal. 3M makes surface conditioning pads exactly for such things. Have a look and see what you would like to do from their charts.

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
I thing the terminology is the problem here. Yes, you can use a "die grinder" but only with a very few attachments to clean gasket material off surfaces. If you get the typical right angle grinder, try some 3M 2" rolco scotch brite pads in the finest finish to remove stubborn old gasket material. It will remove the material and not any metal. 3M makes surface conditioning pads exactly for such things. Have a look and see what you would like to do from their charts.

Yes, I've seen the air tool listed as a die grinder but I did see a "surface prep" kit that I think had some really fine sanding pads. It definitely didn't have actual grinding tips/attachments.

Sorry for the confusion.

So, can this air tool be used with a pancake compressor?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Use a cordless drill, thw pancake compressor wont keep up, and you will burn it out.

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
I would not even use the wire brush. Steel brush will score the carburetor and the intake manifold. If you want to use the brush, use the brass one, softer than the cast iron. Better off use the scoff pad or soften up old gasket with some spray and then remove it with a simlle plastic gasket remover.

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
a lot of attachments for die grinders including ceramic attachements, scotch brite attachements etc. No don't use a grinding disc or cutting wheel. pancake compressor won't drive it not enough cam. I use them all the time with zero damage to surface.