Prepping for painting

bailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What "epoxy" filler? would you fellows recommend using to fix a few small scratches and small dents (about 1/16" deep, maybe 3" in length),these are all above the waterline.The boat has the usual, cleats on each side of the deck for the bumpers, and bow and stern lites, 2 rings in the transom for mooring lines,and a bow ring. Should I remove the hardware, fill the holes and "repoxy" then redrill and replace them? Would 1 type of filler work on all these repairs. I thinking of using "awlgrip" paint and it will be applied using the "brush and tipping" method.
Any advice would be appreciated

Bailey

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Prepping for painting

Greetings.
I have an opinion one 1 question.
If the holes for your cleats are not torn up I would not fill and re-drill them.
Just fill the holes with 3M 4200 when you re-install the cleats.

gallavantin

Cadet

West System has a filler just for fairing. It's supposed to sand easy and make those blemishes dissapear.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

I've used epoxy mixed w/ either fine sawdust or talcum powder a scratch filler, applied w/ a putty knife. It dries hard as a rock though, but I had no problem sanding it.

drewpster

Commander

Use this for filling

http://www.iboats.com/Interlux_Watertite_Epoxy_Filler_Fairing_Compound/dm/*******.384137891--keywords.watertite%20epoxy%20filler--list_time.1216953968--**********.771886960--view_id.48472

No need to fill holes unless there is damage or if you want to get rid of them. If the hole you are filling is much larger than a pea you will need to repair it using fiberglass and resin. Scratches and the like can be filled and sanded flush using the filler above. It is compatible with all marine paints.