preparing trailer for trip

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
I am going on vacation next friday (8/1) i have a sailboat which i am towing which has sat for 3 or so years. I havent done anything for the trailer, but 3 years ago i repacked the bearings, bought new wheels worked out the lights, and about 6 years ago new axle. (single axle trailer no brakes)
I noticed im missing a bearing cap so i know i need to repack the bearings
anything else i should check/do before i go?
im traveling about 400 miles (New Jersey to Lake Champlain)

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: preparing trailer for trip

You've listed all the things to check before a road trip...add the coupler and safety chains to that.

nlain

Commander

Check the tires for dryrot, cracks in the sidewalls or in the tread grooves, make sure the tires are properly inflated to the rating on the sidewall of the tire, get a spare tire and wheel, jack, tools, spare hub with bearings, recheck the lights, everything has sat for 3 years it all needs to be checked. There is probably more but that is all I can think of at the moment.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Check tire condition all over, inflate to correct pressure way ahead of the trip and see if it holds, check bearings and repack if necessary, spare wheel is a must in my opinion (I carry 2 on longer trips) spare hub as stated earlier, check overall trailer condition in case anything is rotting out, winch strap condition, safety for bow hook, safety chains for hitch, lights for correct operation and tie downs.
Make a stop after about 20 to 30 minutes into trip and check tires, bearing (hub) temperature and tire temp or better still take the trailer for a short spin before you leave for the trip to make certain all is well.
Good Luck and have a great vacation.

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

Start with a complete visual inspection of the trailer itself, look for anything that is not normal, cracked welds, severe rust or complete holes in the trailer. If you have bunks or rollers check all those for play, check the springs and shackles on the axle, check axle for severe rust or if it is bent or misaligned. Check everything that connects the boat to the trailer winch strap tiedown/hold downs as well as cover as these can cause a real road hazard if they come flying off. Check bearings on both wheels inspect wheels and tires for cracked welds 'dry rot' cracks along side wall or tread of tires test electrical connections on trailer make sure all lights work (make sure you have spare lights and red lense repair tape just incase). Check tounge for flex and coupler for play, check safety chains for rust (rust is a major weak point). Check your hitch on the tow rig for play and wear again rust is going to be a weak point, attach trailer to hitch/draw bar and bounce the tounge to make sure it wont pop off the ball make sure everything is nice and tight. Check air pressure on the tires and torque on the lug nut. After pulling out of your place and going for about 20-30 min pull over to a rest area with lots of space check for heat near the bearings and tires safety chains and coupler, again make sure lights are still working properly, you also may want to do this test every time you stop for breaks/ washroom as there is alot of money riding on it, insurance wise and the boat.

but most of all enjoy yout trip:cool:

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

thanks guys,
i actually had safety cables installed 3 years ago
(i didnt pin the hitch and the trailer popped up and slammed into the concrete divider. safety chains broke off S hooks suck. also got any rust taken care of and a fresh coat of paint)

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

I also think you should take one extra spring and hardware along with jack stand and jack, extra grease, bearings and hub, tire, light bulbs, fuses and all the tools needed to make road side repairs. But most of all you should take a good friend to help out with all the fun your going to have. Pick me Pick me. :D