Preparing to paint

zoeetal

Cadet
I've taken all the hardware off my little motorboat and am ready to prepare her for repairs and paint. I've been reading a lot but the information is confusing and contradictory. I'm wondering how I begin. I've read that I have to clean and dewax the hull before I can begin sanding. But I've also read about LPUs, MEKs, mold wax, and conversion coats. Ahhh!

Can anyone simplify this for me please? My boat is seafoam green so it's definitely painted. Do I need to decide my brand of paint now so I now what products and tests to use in its preparation?

Thanks!

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Preparing to paint

Sanding will pretty much do the cleaning and de-waxing all at the same time.

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You can search my 1968 Sportcraft c-gull thread for some specific steps. I would have to ask, have you done this before? what kind of paint are you planning on using? Is it a $40 paint job, or a $600 paint job? brush, roller, spray? Indoor heated facility? Just the hull or topsides too?

A good wash with dish soap and a 3M scotchbrite pad would get the gunk off from below hardware, rub rails, etc. I like to scrub her down before sanding with lacquer thinner and using a wax remover/degreaser between steps because even the oils in your skin can cause contamination. Scrubbing fiberglass can create static electricity so be careful with flammable materials.

zool

Captain

The reason you use a dewaxer (surface cleaner) before sanding is so you dont push contaminates down into the substrate...they can leach out under you new paint.....you dont just rub it around tho, you need to use a 2 rag method or a spray bottle and wipe rag ..change the rags often. The idea is, the contamintes suspend in the cleaner when wetted, then are wiped away with a swipe or two.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Just because it's seafoam green does not mean it's definetly painted. They make seafoam green gelcoat too. The Main thing to remember about any paint job is it's all about the prep. The first coat of primer will tell you if you've done your job. Lot's of good threads about how to paint here on the forum. Do an advanced search for Painting your boat and I'm sure you'll have plenty to read. I'm very partial to using the Tractor Paint/Rustoleum with the added hardener. It yields a High Gloss durable finish for a very economical price. The link was posted earlier. Let us know if you have more specific questions.

zoeetal

Cadet

HUGE help. Thanks a lot everyone. That was another question...could it be gelcoat. I've read lots on the Tractor/Rustoleum so I'll likely use that myself. Not looking to spend too much money, but willing to pay what I need to do the job right.

Will be in touch if any other questions come up. Cleaning her tomorrow.