preparing flounder

thurps

Chief Petty Officer
Re: preparing flounder

Poach it in wine/water with onions, garlic and dill.
Salt, pepper filets. Put 1/2 cup of wine, 1/2 cup of water in covered frying pan. Add 1/4 cup finely chopped onion, two finely chopped garlic cloves, and about 1 tsp. dill. Bring mixture to boil add filets, cover, cook for five minutes and walla! perfect fish. This is a pretty good recipe for flounder, cod, or salmon. The only way you can ruin good fresh fish is to over cook it.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Poach it in wine/water with onions, garlic and dill.
Salt, pepper filets. Put 1/2 cup of wine, 1/2 cup of water in covered frying pan. Add 1/4 cup finely chopped onion, two finely chopped garlic cloves, and about 1 tsp. dill. Bring mixture to boil add filets, cover, cook for five minutes and walla! perfect fish. This is a pretty good recipe for flounder, cod, or salmon. The only way you can ruin good fresh fish is to over cook it.

Sounds good...

Another is to marinate for an hour of so with this recipe:

1/4 to 1/2 cup lemon juice (according to preference)
1/2 teaspoon black cracked pepper
1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
4 strips lemon zest
3 cloves garlic (crushed or minced)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 Worchestershire sauce

1/4 cup or each or all to taste and prefference
basil parsley
cilantro dill
oregano

Combine all ingredients and wisk well...

Marinate in this for about an hour or two, and either grill or broil for about 15 minutes in a foil pouch...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Maryland Stuffed Flounder

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs. flounder fillets, 4 lg. pieces
1 cup backfin crabmeat
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped green pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped pimiento
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
dash ground cayenne, optional
4 saltine crackers, crushed
1 egg, separated
6 tbsp. mayonnaise
1 tbsp. chopped parsley
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon paprika

Preparation:
Rinse and dry the flounder. Remove the shell from crabmeat and add green pepper, pimiento, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, Old Bay, cayenne, and crackers. In a small bowl or measure, combine egg white and 1 tablespoon of the mayonnaise. Add to crab mixture and toss until well blended. Brush fillets on cut side with melted butter. Place flounder in greased shallow baking pan and top each fillet with even amounts of the crab mixture. Drizzle remaining butter over top of stuffed fillets. Bake at 400? for 15 minutes. Combine egg yolk and remaining mayonnaise. Spread egg mixture on top of each fillet and sprinkle with paprika. Increase temperature to 450? and bake 6 minutes longer, or until golden and bubbly.
Serves 4.

diastiss

Seaman Apprentice

holy crap that's alot of ingredients! I prefer less seasoning to get the full flavor of the fish. imo if you marinate you get the taste of the marination other than fish

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class

holy crap that's alot of ingredients! I prefer less seasoning to get the full flavor of the fish. imo if you marinate you get the taste of the marination other than fish

I agree! Although those recipes look great (something I'd buy in a restaurant) I prefer to cook my fish simple. Since my wife got diagnosed with ciliac disease (can't eat wheat products) we use Aunt Jemima Corn Meal fine ground like flour as a batter. Dunk the fish in egg, then into the cornmeal and seasonings of your choice. Lightly fry until done. The cornmeal barely coats the fish, unlike flour, and lets the flavor come through.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Well, you asked "What way was the best?" I think you are going to have to cook flounder about everyway mentioned here and then judge for yourself...

BTW, let me know when you decide to have the Flounder Taste Testing Contest, and I will be right over to help you judge...

My mouth is watering reading this and thinking about it...

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it is a fairly large flounder, remove the head, gut it, open it up like you are going to fillet it but don't cut the fillet all the way off. Place in baking pan, dump 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, OR butter and lemon/lime juice and bake at 350 until done. If it is smaller flounder, fillet and deep fry.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

When you guys say flounder are you talking about the flat fish? Out here on the west coast of canada we have a fish we call a flounder and it's flat like a halibut. Usually they get as big as about 2lbs.

I catch tons of these things and always toss them back. Are they good eating?

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Halibut is in the flounder family and is excellent eating. I would check your local regulations on size limits though, 2 lbs. is a little on the small side for them.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Halibut is in the flounder family and is excellent eating. I would check your local regulations on size limits though, 2 lbs. is a little on the small side for them.

Yeah the ones I catch are flounder; I just meant they are like small halibut.

I guess I will bookmark this thread and keep a few next time I'm out. I literally toss back 5 or 6 flounder each trip.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Yeah the ones I catch are flounder; I just meant they are like small halibut.

I guess I will bookmark this thread and keep a few next time I'm out. I literally toss back 5 or 6 flounder each trip.

I wish you would have tossed them into my freezer instead. Yes, they are good eatn'...

relstabw

Seaman

Put the dark side down and on the top cut down the center halfway and then down both sides to make "pockets" Into the pockets stuff a crabmeat mixture made with saltine crackers,liquid smoke,seasoned salt,Old Bay.onions, chopped celeryand butter. Bake in 400 degree oven until done (just till crabmeat starts to brown) not too long. I'm with Knightgang call me when they're done!!

LadyFish

Admiral

BAKED FLOUNDER WITH CRAB & SHRIMP STUFFING

3 or 4 lg. flounders (3/4 to 1 lb.)
Salt to taste
1 stick butter

STUFFING:

1 c. fresh lump crab meat
1 pound fresh shrimp
2 tbsp. bacon drippings
1 med. onion, chopped fine
1 shallot, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. celery, chopped
2 tbsp. bell pepper, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. thyme
1 tbsp. parsley, chopped
1 egg
3/4 c. bread crumbs
Lemon Slices

Scale both sides of the flounder. With your filet knife, slice straight down the top of the fish in the middle all the way to the tail. Filet each side almost all the way to the outside of the fish and lay open.

Place generous amount of stuffing (made by sauteing vegetables in drippings then mixing with remaining ingredients) in opening and fold back over toward the middle. Lay lemon slices over the top and dot with tabs of butter.

Bake at 375 degrees or 400 degrees covered for 30 minutes. Uncover last 5 or 10 minutes.

This is a simple and VERY delicious tried and true recipe. :)

joeymagnus1

Cadet

These all look like very yummy recipes. I eventually just skinned the fish (I believe it was a southern flounder, 16 in. long) and baked it with a few seasonings. And it was delicious! I caught it by the North River Bridge near Beaufort, NC. I caught a couple others, but they were just under legal size. So they went back in the water.:( I started the day shrimping and caught a few finger mullet while casting my net, so I decided to use them for bait and ended up catching some flounder. It was nice going catching instead of fishing for once. :) I also went home with 92 shrimp.

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I haven't been to North River in a while. I will be soon though. The oysters are rather large and plentiful compared to around here.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

First learn how to fillet a flounder. You should have a flexible 6"-7", I prefer curved blade quality boning knife. I say boning, because most of your over the counter fish knives are junk. If it is super sharp you can have a perfect boneless fillet in short order. Anyway try and find someone to show you how and you'll see how easy it is with almost no loss of meat.

If you have the money buy Forshner new, and if you don't try and find a local bait and tackle store that sell regrinds which for the great quality are dirt cheap boning knives that hold their edge.

Buy the way Flounder is one of the best tasting fish in the ocean.

Enjoy the taste

Fly Rod

Commander

Some nice recipes here that I will try later.

Normally I just use very little salt & pepper and broil flounder for about 4 minutes.

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is nothing like watching a video....:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja6znPj5o9I

I do mine different. I cut the head off, run the knife in from the front of the fish going down the back bone and just slide the knife to the outside towards the belly side, then do the same going away from the belly, then flip over and repeat. I can usually fillet a flounder in less than a minute. I also get 2 big fillets.