"Premium" vs "high performance" lube

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Mistakenly bought premium gear lube, didn't realize it till the unit was full. Any issues with running it for the weekend? I *think* the premium was the original lube for the A1G1, but I'm not sure if this is the same formulation or if they changed it up...

Btw, what stupid names. Premium sounds like the good stuff to me.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Mistakenly bought premium gear lube, didn't realize it till the unit was full. Any issues with running it for the weekend? I *think* the premium was the original lube for the A1G1, but I'm not sure if this is the same formulation or if they changed it up...

You are correct the premium lube (light brown in color) was the lube for gen one and older drives back in the day.
I suspect but cant confirm that it is the same formula. When the gen 2 came out in 1991 i think they changed the labeling to simplify 75 hp and below for premium, 75 and up for high perf.
might be worth a call or email to merc tech support to confirm if you are concerned.

Alumarine

Captain
I agree, they could have come up with better names.
I've made the same mistake but figured it out before using it so can't help otherwise.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I agree, they could have come up with better names.
I've made the same mistake but figured it out before using it so can't help otherwise.
Yeah, didn't realize it till it started coming out the vent

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Premium is fine for any alpha style drive up to current gen 2. High performance gear lube was developed for the bravo drives at lake x back in the 80s. Mercury used it during development and beta testing and when they released the bravo for sale they recommended premium gear lube. Very few if any original bravo drives from 1989 survived that first season. Premium wasnt enough to provide lubrication for the bravo drive and many failed. Mercury then marketed the high performance gear lube for every sterndrive and higher horsepower outboard since.

Side note, a lot if dealerships raked in big $ on the warranty for bravi drives in the late 80s early 99s by keeping a few drives on hand, mercury was offering bonuses for dealerships with fast turnaround times on bravo drive warranty swaps.

Basic story is, you'll be more than fine running premium gear lube in your alpha style drive

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Premium is fine for any alpha style drive up to current gen 2. High performance gear lube was developed for the bravo drives at lake x back in the 80s. Mercury used it during development and beta testing and when they released the bravo for sale they recommended premium gear lube. Very few if any original bravo drives from 1989 survived that first season. Premium wasnt enough to provide lubrication for the bravo drive and many failed. Mercury then marketed the high performance gear lube for every sterndrive and higher horsepower outboard since.

Side note, a lot if dealerships raked in big $ on the warranty for bravi drives in the late 80s early 99s by keeping a few drives on hand, mercury was offering bonuses for dealerships with fast turnaround times on bravo drive warranty swaps.

Basic story is, you'll be more than fine running premium gear lube in your alpha style drive
The gen 2 specs hi perf lube as well.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
The gen 2 specs hi perf lube as well.
Yes, as all sterndrives are since the introduction of high perf. I'm saying that premium will work fine in any non bravo (alpha style) sterndrive. It was the only available gear lube for many years prior to the bravo series, hence proven to work

Fun Times

Staff member
Mercury SAE 80W-90 Premium Gear Lube Oil - Quart - 92-858058K01

Mercury Marine gear lube outperforms automotive gear oil in marine applications because of its specialized additives package designed for marine gear cases. Continued use of this gear case lubricant will: Provide maximum protection against excessive wear - even in the presence of water prevent corrosion and pitting. Mercury Premium SAE 80W90 Gear Lube is recommended for lower units for outboards below 75 horsepower. Mercury Premium SAE 80W90 Gear Lube should not be mixed with Mercury High-Performance SAE 90 Gear Lube.

Mercury SAE 90 High Performance Gear Lube Oil - 8 oz Tube - 92-802851K01

Engineered to provide maximum protection for sterndrive and outboard lower units. Exclusive formula is engineered to provide extended gear life in extreme conditions including high-speed and high-horsepower applications. Extensively tested to provide excellent protection against corrosion and excessive wear. Specifically formulated to help prevent failures due to water entering the gear housing. Extreme pressure synthetic additives protect gears from metal to metal contact. Since no industry-wide standards exist concerning marine gear oils, it is essential to use products such as Mercury High-Performance Gear Lube which has been specifically designed and tested for marine applications. DO NOT mix with Mercury Premium Gear Lube. Provides warranty protection for all Mercury MerCruiser sterndrive and Mercury, Mariner and Force outboard lower units.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
So I think that the premium is fine, as long as it wasn't reformulated. I remember reading somewhere along the way that the high performance used to be full synthetic, and now is a semi-synthetic. I do Wonder why they are so adamant against mixing, and if draining the premium without flushing the gear case or anything is good enough. As it stands, I don't know how long this lower is going to stay on there anyway. There is a LOT of slop, and I had a hell of a time adjusting the cable. Don't know how well it's going to shift on the water...

Rick Stephens

Admiral
As a kid I had a job driving a tractor trailer. Truck had a brand spankin new rebuilt motor in it. First week on the job I noticed oil level down and added a little DELO. Later that day the motor froze up. When we pulled the pan on that motor, you could turn it upside down and none of the oil would drain out. Was as close to tar as I ever seen. Turns out he was running a synthetic in it (I have no idea of the motor was even broke in yet, but people do weird sh*t)

Mixing some oils is not a good thing.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I’ve used the Merc High Performance on my Cobra because the OMC gear lube was hard to find locally. Been using it 15+ years with excellent results.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Moot point now, wind picked up and had a buddy pick up some hi po at Wally world. Drained the premium and filled with high performance. Interestingly none of the local marinas had it. Only premium, including one marina that only used premium in 55 gallon drums for all their boats

Earl Cordova

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I’ve used the Merc High Performance on my Cobra because the OMC gear lube was hard to find locally. Been using it 15+ years with excellent results.
Used Merc High Performance in our OMC stringer mount for years.
My favorite boat mechanic at the time used it in everything.
He said it was the best, with the added benefit of only having to stock one kind of lube.