premium gas

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: premium gas

This is getting me mixed up.<br />Please bear with me.Am I right thinking that 87 octane means that the fuel is cracked down to 8 unit long hydro carbon chain molecules,with 87% of the fuel being at this unit length,whereas 91 and 93 have the higher percentage of this chain length thereby igniting at a lower but more predictable temperature and pressure range.Is this true or do I completely misunderstand???

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

now I am confused.<br /> octane is simply a measure of the fuel to be consistently controled at a specific temp and burn rate. actually the higher the octane the slower the burn and in some motors high octane inhibits max horse power.

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe outdated, but at when I worked at a gas station, the truck came by and filled all three underground tanks. I had a 15 gallon jug of "stuff" to add to the gas tanks...for mid-grade it was x-ounces, for premium xx-ounces. All there was to it. NO joke.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

The number 87 is actually the R+M/2 method.<br /><br />Two ways to determine octane...<br /><br />One, via lab tests with high tech machines.<br /><br />The other, an actual one cylinder engine they run it in till it knocks.<br /><br />They average them together to get the number you see on the pump.<br /><br />Ken

beniam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

About octane ratings:<br /><br />Octane; A continuous chain Alkane (in English: a backbone of 8 carbons CCCCCCCC With all the outside free electron spots taken by a hydrogen, H)<br />Octane :CH3(CH2)6 CH3 . <br /> 8 carbons, 18 hydrogens<br /><br />Isooctane;also known as 2,2,4,trimethylpentane<br /><br />5 carbons in a row (pentane). CCCCC 3 methanes branching offsides ( methane CH3- one carbon, 3 hydrogens). 2,2,4 places of attachment of branch.<br /> 8 carbons, 18 hydrogens<br /><br />Heptane; 7 carbons,16 hydrogens, turns to vapor at lower temperature than Octane, also lower autoignition point. <br /> 7 carbons,16 hydrogens<br /><br />Autoignition; temperature at which fuel and air mixture self ignites (no spark required).<br /><br />Arbitrary standard (well we gotto use something, so octane rating seemed like a good idea at the time); ----Isooctane = 100 (minimal knock)<br /> ----heptane = 0 (bad knock )<br /><br />Autoignition temperature of isooctane =220 celcius, or 428 Farenheit.<br /> <br />As you compress a gas (mixture of air and fuel), it gets hotter. So at top dead center of piston stroke, want to be below autoignition temp.<br /><br />Soooo define octane 92; 92% isooctane,8% heptane.<br />Compare the mix you got with the 92 octane, and you got 92 octane equivalent.<br /><br />Actual content;variable mix, some parts of which are aromatics, and other C-H combos that burn fine, but you should not sniff too much off.<br /><br />Its a little more complex than all that, but is a start. Hope I did not confuse anybody. <br />And yes, I really dont have a life. My Ex periodically says so , so it must be true. Be happy, boat lots and spring is coming. Batavier

Kenneth Brown

Captain

About octane ratings:<br /><br />Octane; A continuous chain Alkane (in English: a backbone of 8 carbons CCCCCCCC With all the outside free electron spots taken by a hydrogen, H)<br />Octane :CH3(CH2)6 CH3 . <br />8 carbons, 18 hydrogens<br /><br />Isooctane;also known as 2,2,4,trimethylpentane<br /><br />5 carbons in a row (pentane). CCCCC 3 methanes branching offsides ( methane CH3- one carbon, 3 hydrogens). 2,2,4 places of attachment of branch.<br />8 carbons, 18 hydrogens<br /><br />Heptane; 7 carbons,16 hydrogens, turns to vapor at lower temperature than Octane, also lower autoignition point. <br />7 carbons,16 hydrogens<br /><br />Autoignition; temperature at which fuel and air mixture self ignites (no spark required).<br /><br />Arbitrary standard (well we gotto use something, so octane rating seemed like a good idea at the time); ----Isooctane = 100 (minimal knock)<br />----heptane = 0 (bad knock )<br /><br />Autoignition temperature of isooctane =220 celcius, or 428 Farenheit.<br /><br />As you compress a gas (mixture of air and fuel), it gets hotter. So at top dead center of piston stroke, want to be below autoignition temp.<br /><br />Soooo define octane 92; 92% isooctane,8% heptane.<br />Compare the mix you got with the 92 octane, and you got 92 octane equivalent.<br /><br />Actual content;variable mix, some parts of which are aromatics, and other C-H combos that burn fine, but you should not sniff too much off.<br /><br />That pretty much sums it all up.<br /><br /><br />EDIT: I see as I was typing all of this Batavier already had it ready, or he can type faster than me. Ya right :)

LadyFish

Admiral

200503210625_mb_hlm1_i1_2_0

D

DJ

For once-in seven years-AZ has the cheapest gas.<br /><br />$2.09-$2.11/gal-87 octane.<br /><br />I guess the "pipe"is fixed. :rolleyes: