premium gas

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer
Seen it as high as $2.41,93 octane. What engines need this? My chevy's do fine on 87, no engine ping. I don't go through as much fuel on the boat. Would there be an advantage to using higher octane there?

Laddies

Banned
Re: premium gas

As long as your truck runs good on the 87 octane I would burn it in my boat from the same station, most newer boats will run on it ok, but the quality can very from station to station--Bob

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

I stop at amoco $2.23 unleaded, it's been good quality. But I do pass stations at $2.19. So I'll probably stay where I am. I also use it for boat motor. The fuel in that sits longer so I was wondering if the higher octane would help. Or just a fuel stabilizer? It's a newer honda 4 stroke.

Homerr

Commander

A lot of engines need that fuel.<br /><br />I have a Ford with a souped-up 390 that won't run on anything but the highest octane. If I use any lower grade, it pings like no other and runs terrible. (It could have something to do with the Edelbrock aluminum intake, Carter AFB, headers, bored, etc... LOL)<br /><br />Unfortunately, I won't be driving it much anymore! :( <br /><br />I also like to run a tank of the good stuff through all my vehicles once in a while.<br /><br /><br />H.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My ML requires 91+.<br /><br />$2.15 in Mineral Wells today. :(

gonfishn

Commander

$2.06 here today down from $2.29 two days ago..Makes no sense..

Laddies

Banned

allthumbs, with some companys using butane and god only know what to act as octane booster you might add some octane booster yourself, when the unit has sit for awhile

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Harley's prefer the high octane fuel. Harley's do not like the reformulated crap that has 10% ethanol.<br /><br />IMO, the fuel companies should get rid of mid-grade, only offer 87 & 93, thus freeing up refining capacity. May help lower fuel cost at the pump. I make this statement as a person who is not familiar with the refining process, therefore, it may be irrelevant.

ndemge

Commander

My brother put a Ram Jet 350 in his blazer, has to use the good stuff, MUST have when towing, can get buy around town with midgrade.<br /><br />...my guess is mose of the people that have a performance high compression engine that requires the higher octane, are also the people that don't really ahve to worry about the cost.

D

DJ

Unless your vehicle specifically calls for premium, you're wasting your money and risk making an "octane junkie" out of it.<br /><br />If the engine is stock, calls for 87, and still needs premium, you have other problems.<br /><br />If the engine has been modified, all bets are off.

SpinnerBait_Nut

My "new" boat has to have the good stuff. :( <br />45 gallon tank. :eek:

D

DJ

SBN,<br /><br />IS there something out there that requires premium besides a Verado?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

At the gougers, super's $2.49... <br /><br />Two miles away, I paid $2.27...<br /><br />Knew I shoulda stocked up when Sams had it for $2.01.. :rolleyes:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> SBN,<br /><br />IS there something out there that requires premium besides a Verado?
Yes DJ, this 225 Promax says no less than 91 Octane. It is a 2000 model and has had the Mercury upgrade done to it when they did the rebuild.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by pjc:<br /> Harley's prefer the high octane fuel. Harley's do not like the reformulated crap that has 10% ethanol.<br /><br />IMO, the fuel companies should get rid of mid-grade, only offer 87 & 93, thus freeing up refining capacity. May help lower fuel cost at the pump. I make this statement as a person who is not familiar with the refining process, therefore, it may be irrelevant.
I may be wrong so feel free to correct me, but I was told by a "person in the know" at a filling station that mid-grades are actually a mixture of regular and premium as most stations only have two tanks. There may be four or five fills but there's really only two types of gasoline in the ground at the station. If you get poor performance from regular, ask the station if they adulterate their gasoline with ethanol. If so, find someone else, who doesn't use ethanol.<br />Now for what I do know is accurate, from several reliable sources. Octane is a rating of heat energy. The higher the rating the less the heat energy. Thus premium grades have less heat energy than regular does. Perverted, as it seems, it costs more, gives less energy and therefore lower mpg, all things relative. The higher the octane rating the less susceptible the fuel is to pre-ignition or spark knocking. Pre-ignition is caused by the fuel/air mixture combusting from the heat of compression and residual heat within the engine. Just like a diesel. That is why high performance and high compression engines generally require premium fuels. The higher compression and operating temperatures of these engines cause them to pre-ignite lesser grade fuels.<br />And the previous posts were wise when they recommended using the lowest grade fuel possible. If you don’t encounter performance problems, using the lesser grades will save you money. You will save $$$ by the lower cost and by the greater mpg due to the greater heater energy.<br />As for the Verado requiring Premium, is that super/turbo-charged? That would explain why. The forced induction in effect raises the compression ration. Not to mention the heat generated by the compressor itself, that’s why a lot of cars and trucks have an intercooler.

D

DJ

SBN,<br /><br />Thanks. It must have a healthy compression ratio.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> SBN,<br /><br />Thanks. It must have a healthy compression ratio.
I don't know what all they did in the upgrade.<br />They reset the CPU, did something to the timing on it and did something else to require it to use 91+ octane.<br />This from Mercury race division.<br /><br />This is a new re-man'd powerhead from Mercury and they gave me special instructions on breaking it in, and one of them was 91+ octane without any alcohol.

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

David,<br />I know at the station I worked at we had tanks for all three types of fuel. It would be hard to regulate the amount of regular and super being mixed at the pump and stations have to standby minimum octane ratings with dept. of weights and measures in my area.

SpinnerBait_Nut

David L. Moore said,<br />
I may be wrong so feel free to correct me, but I was told by a "person in the know" at a filling station that mid-grades are actually a mixture of regular and premium as most stations only have two tanks.
I will tell you this, I hauled gas/fuel for a few years and when I loaded, I loaded 3 products of gas, regular, mid-grade, and premium.<br />Put into different compartments of my tanker and dropped in 3 different holes in the ground.<br /><br />Maybe some that do that, but it's not the norm.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

nice thing about it is in venezuela premium unleaded is about 28 cents a gallon :) . all you can burn. and good rum is cheap, good beer is cheaper and the fishing is fantastic,<br /> I hope to move soon :) :)