pre purchase advice on 69 Glastron V150 with johnson controllers & no O/B motor

tunerauto

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: pre purchase advice on 69 Glastron V150 with johnson controllers & no O/B motor

Re: pre purchase advice on 69 Glastron V150 with johnson controllers & no O/B motor

May want to wait for the motor budget to improve a few hundred at least. The engine will be one of the most important things on your new baby. Going on the cheap side will not usually be a wise move. Nothing worse than re-powering with too small or too used of a motor. Boats are expensive to keep running well. I really like the one you picked.

Absolutely the most important !
Thanx for the info , Ill pass.

tunerauto

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After towing it back from the storage unit it was at . When I parked out in front of my house , got out of the truck , I could hear what sounded like running water . The sound was coming from the bow of the boat. I suspect since it was left out without a cover , some rain water and maybe snow had found its way into the boat . I also noticed a fair amount of water coming out of the hole at the base of the boat underneath the transom . I suspect this is a drain for the hull of the boat and normally has a plug or bung . Can someone enlighten me on how to proceed ?

CaptOchs

Petty Officer 1st Class

After towing it back from the storage unit it was at . When I parked out in front of my house , got out of the truck , I could hear what sounded like running water . The sound was coming from the bow of the boat. I suspect since it was left out without a cover , some rain water and maybe snow had found its way into the boat . I also noticed a fair amount of water coming out of the hole at the base of the boat underneath the transom . I suspect this is a drain for the hull of the boat and normally has a plug or bung . Can someone enlighten me on how to proceed ?

It's just water draining from the bilge. The bow wasn't kept high enough for the water to drain out. When you park, keep the plug out and keep the bow up as high as you can. You don't want water left in there otherwise it can ruin the deck or your floatation foam will suck it up like a sponge.

I don't think anyone's mentioned this, but you should be aware the HP ratings changed around the mid 80's for most outboards. They used to measure HP at the powerhead. Now it's done at the prop. There's roughly a 15% difference. E.G. if you have a 100HP Johnson from 1975, the same motor would probably be marked as 85 HP on a 1990 motor. I had a 1969 Merc 65hp on the identical boat and I tubed and skied off it. It wasn't too bad in gas either.

tunerauto

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Agreed , when I picked it up from the storage facility the bow was definitely lower than the back . The plug was already out and I dont have a plug for it so its currently at the house unplugged. I need to get it lifted up and tilted as well as find something to help make sure the hole is clear of obstructions.
Good info on the motor , thanx.