Prayer 1 Atheist 0

NYMINUTE

Captain
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Supreme Court Wednesday rejected an emergency appeal from a California atheist who wanted to block recitation of prayers at President Bush's inaugural ceremonies.<br /><br />The ruling means prayer ceremonies will proceed as they have in past inaugurations.<br /><br />Michael Newdow, an attorney and physician, had asked for a last-minute injunction to stop the invocation and benediction at Thursday's event. Newdow argued such prayers violated the U.S. Constitution's separation of church and state provisions.<br /><br />The court without comment refused to intervene. Newdow also had asked Chief Justice William Rehnquist to recuse himself from the case because he would be involved in Thursday's swearing-in of Bush. Rehnquist has judicial jurisdiction over cases filed in Washington, DC.<br /><br />Rehnquist did participate and Wednesday's decision was in his name. Rehnquist previously has sworn in four presidents since becoming chief justice in 1986.<br /><br />Two lower courts had rejected Newdow's request to ban the prayer. In his ruling last week, U.S. District Judge John Bates also said the court did not have authority to stop the president from inviting clergy to give a religious prayer at the ceremony. (Last week's ruling)<br /><br />According to a report from The Associated Press, attorneys representing Bush had argued that prayers have been widely accepted at inaugurals for more than 200 years. Bush's decision to have a minister recite the invocation was a personal choice the court had no power to prevent, according to filings reported by the AP.<br /><br />Newdow gained widespread publicity two years ago after winning his pledge case before the San-Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco, which ruled that public schools violated the separation of church and state by having students mention God.<br /><br />The Supreme Court rejected that appeal because Newdow did not have custody of his daughter at the time he filed his lawsuit. <br /><br />Newdow refiled the pledge suit in Sacramento federal court this month, naming eight other parents and children, the AP reported.

ob

Admiral
Re: Prayer 1 Atheist 0

Newdow needs to get a newlife.

dolluper

Captain

Could be a place for that guy don't know what you call it but it's 200 miles north of the end of the Alaska highway

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

idunno OB... have any idea how much $ he makes<br />going on talk shows to discuss the various suits<br />he brings???<br /><br />it's a (downright/dirty) way to make alotta$$$$$<br /><br />got nothin to do w/his beliefs IMO...

ob

Admiral

Guess since Newdow took his stance , he makes some newdough.

eeboater

Commander

Don't know bout you guys, but I hope enjoys eternity rotting in H E double hockey sticks.<br /><br />Sean

NYMINUTE

Captain

bek035.gif
<br />Another movie and book opportunity.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Why do the atheists confuse "freedom of religion" with "freedom from religion"?<br /><br />Cant they read the constitution. :confused: <br /><br />Ken

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm glad to hear that!! That Newdow guy needs a serious a$$ kicking!! :mad: <br /><br />Butch A.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Na, Butch..I think Dolluper got it right...He needs to be sent home. Dolluper, I think they call it "Siberia".<br />At any rate, it will be close enough to his homeland.

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In a way, I find it humorous to watch folks like this. The part that bothered me more was in his original California suit, he was doing it because his daughter was offended. Right.... What a weasel.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

I'm also glad to hear this!<br /> Newdow really needs to get a new hobby or move to somewhere he can avoid his beliefs being offended(Out of the USA). Go away Newdow! I for one have had enough of you.<br />Bassy

jimalsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You know guys I think it is time to gather up all these aclu-peta D.A's,(Iwish I could use the words on this forum),and ship them the heck out of this country. I'm getting sick and tired of these moron's trying to tell me what I should do with my life.If you don't like the way things are done,and have been done for the past 200 years do me a favor and pack up. I was just thinking this morning on who is going to raise the issue of Bush putting his hand on a bible at the swearing in. Thank you Mr.(I am a D.A.)Newdow for answering that question.Sorry for the rant but I'm sick of these idiots

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm afraid this stuff is just going to keep coming, imagine what people could do for good with the effort they put into this crap,<br />Plus Bush needs the prayer(s), he's got a lot of sh*t coming his way.

brother chris

Commander

Originally posted by dolluper:<br /> Could be a place for that guy don't know what you call it but it's 200 miles north of the end of the Alaska highway
I believe that would be Tuktoyaktuk. Good place for him.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I got no prob if Duhhbya wants a minister to recite prayer at his shindig, because I don't have to listen to, or watch it (i'd prolly vomit if I did)...<br /><br />Mr. Newdow, take my advice.... Change the flippin' channel... ;)