ppe question

WillyS86

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys I'm sure this has been covered but I didn't find it on a search.

As far add masks go when grinding fiber glass do I need a dust type filter or a chemical filter

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Re: ppe question

For grinding, you need a good particulate filter (e.g., P-100), not a filter for organic/chemical vapors. Many masks that take care of organics also have a combined chemical/P-100 filter, but they are much expensive than a simple P-100 filter.

Hope this helps,
Jim

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Yes a particle filter and not a vapor filter is the one you want. You can use a vapor filter if you want or it makes you feel better, but they are a lot more expensive and not necessary... Vapor filters are use when you get to painting or even glassing and don't want to smell the fumes. And that IS how you can tell if the filter is working. If you can smell the fumes from the paint you are using, the filter is not the correct one to use...or worn out and needs replaced! I like the particle filters with the little breather plug in the front. They seem to keep from fogging the safety glasses as quick. A little more expensive but well worth it in my opinion...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hey guys I'm sure this has been covered but I didn't find it on a search.

As far add masks go when grinding fiber glass do I need a dust type filter or a chemical filter

Get a full face Respo .. and some ear muffs. .. and a full suit .. gloves etc ..

Those cheesy masks are for sanding Cars man ! .. not Glass.

YD.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Yes, particulates can be just a dangerous and irritating as fumes and chemicals.

Back when I was mixing organic powders I used a full face. Not because there was anything really dangerous about it but because the powder was so fine it would irritate my eyes and nose and cause extreme discomfort.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yacht Dr is correct, spend a little more and get a full face and you'll be happy you did! the 3M 6000 series you can find for $75.00

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Yeah, I have to admit the full face mask would have been nice. I don't know how they are re: fogging up when you get hot, but not having an itchy face would be nice....

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Picked my 3M 6000 series up on fleabay for 62 bucks, including shipping and I can tell you they are the best!
They DO NOT fog up, give great visibility and are actually very comfortable to wear for long periods of time...
The biggest decision to make is the size...they make a small, medium and large...I contacted 3M when I was ready to buy mine and asked them how do I figure out the size...
Their response was, most humans have a medium sized face, unless you are of unusually small proportions, like the little guy on "Fantasy Island" {Herve Villechaize}
HerveVillechaize.jpg
, or huge like "Jaws" {Zbigniew Krycsiwiki}
317485_100162906853714_831829590_n.jpg
from the "James Bond" movies...

zool

Captain

I got the same one from ebay, GT....well worth the price....I could smell the poly with the half mask, but not at all with the full face, no fogging either....I got the large, no knowing about tatoo or jaws ;), and it needs to be tightened all the way to fit snug..i'd get a medium next time

WillyS86

Seaman Apprentice

I have a MSA full face mask that is great, the only reason I asked about the chemical filters vs. the dust, when I was grinding Saturday afternoon I would every once in a while get a fiber glass odder threw the mask. I guess its time for new filters.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Either you need new filters or you need to tighten it up to ensure you have a good seal!!;)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Are you also using prefilters over your cartrages? They aren't expensive and really help save the useful life of the cartrages.

Is what your're smelling actually fiberglass or is it the resin that's burning off? I didn't think glass had a smell.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I have a MSA full face mask that is great, the only reason I asked about the chemical filters vs. the dust, when I was grinding Saturday afternoon I would every once in a while get a fiber glass odder threw the mask. I guess its time for new filters.

What MSA full mask are you talking about ?

Dust should/will not go through the filters ...

Yes I can Fart in a suit and still smell it ... its just that your working with glass and particulates .. Not Gasses.

You can still smell a cookout BBQ if your in the downwind side of your mask .. but we are not talking about that.

Your fine I would think .. even if you smell some burning glass of sorts.