Poxy top coat

paul2112

Seaman
Ok, I have removed the carpet & cleaned the floor in my 16' newman trihull, and its very solid.. I need to apply poly over the entire floor to help seal it. Anything I need to do next and how well will the poly stick to it..Thanks

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Poxy top coat

First thing it to make certain it is absolutely dry. Then sand with 80# paper.
It will all need to be prepped with acetone as a cleaning agent. Polyester resin will not stick to anything wet, or completely smooth. Well, it will stick but it won't last. The application will take two people. One mixing the resin and the other applying. Once you start you'll need to go like crazy so don't get lazy and take too many barley pop breaks - do that after. Mix up no more than you can safely apply in five minutes. If it's just for floor protection buy a resin safe roller cover and use your mixing bucket to pour it on the deck - then roll. I think the hardest part of using poly is having to count the drops of hardner - but you can find a graduated mixing cup from West Marine or wherever. On your first mix count the necessary amount you'll need and look at where it comes to on the lines of the cup. The next time you'll know the exact amount without that tedious counting stuff. Since there will be some residue left in your cup try and add another three of four drops to compensate for that. I not trying to make this sound like rocket science, sorry if I did. Have fun !!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Coating the floor with polyester resin alone won't be a long term fix. Polyester resin has very little strength without glass and when used over plywood in this manner it tends to crack and peel off. Then putting carpet back over it will just keep the wood wet. You would be better off using epoxy or a truck bed liner type product instead of polyester resin.

paul2112

Seaman

Thanks guys for the reply. I think I left out a part.. Its already a fiberglass floor,had carpet over it and the fiberglass is now getting exposed( if you were to run your hand across it you would get small splinters of glass. am I making since?) Now I should be able to just recoat this exposed glass with poxy right, and I should last? Thanks again guys...

Attachments

• 08-11-07_0916.jpg
    08-11-07_0916.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 08-11-07_0917.jpg
    08-11-07_0917.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

As long as you sand it with 36 or so grit it should stick fine.