Powering Mariner 4 Questions

preston82

Recruit
A friend and I went on a couple large lakes and a river in the past couple of weeks with an Intex Mariner 4, the Intex motor mount, and two different motors. The first motor used was an 86 lbs thrust electric motor that we thought would make it upriver on the Muskegon River in Michigan (Lower Peninsula by Newaygo), the second largest river in the state. It basically was running in place, though once we got it turned around off the edge of the river, at the motor's top speed level it got back upriver to the launch (a bit over a football field distance return trip) at about 1-2 mph. We didn't attempt that nonsense again. The second motor we ran in large lake called Wabasis, and another lake called Murray, and the motor angles in so the propeller is at a higher trim angle than it should be. It stiffens and even prevents steering when it does that, so we're trying to learn what is a way to get the motor to not dig so strong or completely keep it straight in the water, and on a sort of budget. The second motor is a gas-powered, 2.5 HP Suzuki, weighing 31 lbs., 3-blade prop, and has a kill switch. It's really interesting that it merely goes 5 mph at not even 1/2 throttle stick rotation, and I surmise that it doesn't go faster when increasing the stick rotation because of the motor digging and the propeller angling into the raft. It's pulling up on the plastic holes that the mount bars go through quite strongly, stretching them a bit too much, and I fear it's capable of ripping them off the raft.

One aspect of the Mariner 4 is it has an inflatable keel, and it's a stabilizing factor for the boat, but I think it may also create somewhat of a drag force on the motor propeller's water action, allowing it to quickly tip in to the raft on the initial torque of a speed slightly higher than minimum. If the motor were lifted out of the water by around 6", and secured in its upright position (not able to angle in easily), then I think it would be sufficient to get a faster speed and not cause steering issues or strain on the raft's onboard components. The design of the Intex motor mount is another factor that is off for the raft too. It's too far down, actually being well below the mid-line of vertical plane of the raft (where there's a rock guard around the perimeter of the raft), so it's distributing weight with the top-heavy engine on the aft of the boat, which is probably inducing the motor to dig in at an angle with enough propeller thrust.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Answering your tech issue :

-A Mariner 4 inflatable is made with a very thin unsupported pvc material, the removable motor mount is a very basic one intended to hold a very light electric gas motor to power the it.

-When power is in demand passing fast idle speed, the prop pushing forward will tend to flex downward the inflatable's aft portion where the motor mount sits and consequently the prop will lose its best angle of attack and thrust.

-If you add more air pressure after the boat was inflated to a final firm condition to achieve an overall better water performnce could end bursting the side seams.

-What you could do minimize the aft flexing with the electric or gas motor is to trim it up one notch, that way when slight more power is in demand should flex the aft portion for motor to power at 90 deg which is the best trim setting to power anything that floats.

-Just throttle enough to maintain the best 90 deg trim angle. Won't be possible to plane it due to excessive hull drag and inflatable floor flexing. Report if worked much better than before...

This inflatable built with a 1.2 mm tough fabric flexes the aft portion along the motor mount at arounf 1/3 throttle with a 3.5 or 5 HP motor, it's only good for linear fast displacement speeds. In both cases nothing can be done untill you buy a more pro inflatable as both models are intended for basic boating use at calm beaches, lakes next to land...

Happy Boating

Attachments

• photo337470.jpg
    photo337470.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 6
  • photo337472.jpg
    photo337472.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 7

preston82

Recruit
Thanks for the reply, Sea Rider.
I still don't quite understand the 'hijacking' label of my reply to the other thread. I was simply sharing a couple experiences with a bit of insight / info, and asking for ideas on how to equip or mod the raft for better stability and speed. I didn't have the intent of dominating or disrupting the OP's thread. If that's how sensitive it is around here, I think I'll take my leave.

matt167

Captain
I have a Seahawk 3, with the motor mount and a gas " 3.6 hp " Hangkai which really is ~1.5 hp. The Hangkai the first time out was putting excessive pressure on the top mounts at anything over 1/4 throttle by pulling up on them BUT the boat operated perfectly. The second time out I added 2 lengths of conduit which extends the motor mount up through the oar locks. This allowed the SAFE use of WOT. Actually the boat was too much for the Hangkai and running WOT against the current caused the clutch to fail. The prop needed more slip, or a better clutch.

I have 2 4hp OMC motors which are twin cylinders but still super light. I'm positive the boat could take either one but I'll repair and upgrade the Hangkai as it is better suited... A ridgid floor mod will also make it more solid..

I'm not sure the oar locks are in line with the top motor mounts on a Mariner 4, but if not, extending them to the oar locks will still aid in structural integrity.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Preston 82,

Iboats prefers new and old posters to post new topics of their own in a separate post to avoid dual posting inside one already posted. It's much better to follow along receiving more answers to your personal tech inquiry. Due to the C-19 pandemia all the everyday things have turned out vey sensitive...LOL!!

Happy Boating

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for the reply, Sea Rider.
I still don't quite understand the 'hijacking' label of my reply to the other thread. I was simply sharing a couple experiences with a bit of insight / info, and asking for ideas on how to equip or mod the raft for better stability and speed. I didn't have the intent of dominating or disrupting the OP's thread. If that's how sensitive it is around here, I think I'll take my leave.

You asked for advice about your situation which does cause disruption by forking the thread and makes it confusing.

A friend and I went on a couple large lakes and a river in the past couple of weeks with an Intex Mariner 4, the Intex motor mount, and two different motors. The first motor used was an 86 lbs thrust electric motor that we thought would make it upriver on the Muskegon River in Michigan (Lower Peninsula by Newaygo), the second largest river in the state. It basically was running in place, though once we got it turned around off the edge of the river, at the motor's top speed level it got back upriver to the launch (a bit over a football field distance return trip) at about 1-2 mph. We didn't attempt that nonsense again. The second motor we ran in large lake called Wabasis, and another lake called Murray, and the motor angles in so the propeller is at a higher trim angle than it should be. It stiffens and even prevents steering when it does that, so we're trying to learn what is a way to get the motor to not dig so strong or completely keep it straight in the water, and on a sort of budget. The second motor is a gas-powered, 2.5 HP Suzuki, weighing 31 lbs., 3-blade prop, and has a kill switch. It's really interesting that it merely goes 5 mph at not even 1/2 throttle stick rotation, and I surmise that it doesn't go faster when increasing the stick rotation because of the motor digging and the propeller angling into the raft. It's pulling up on the plastic holes that the mount bars go through quite strongly, stretching them a bit too much, and I fear it's capable of ripping them off the raft.

One aspect of the Mariner 4 is it has an inflatable keel, and it's a stabilizing factor for the boat, but I think it may also create somewhat of a drag force on the motor propeller's water action, allowing it to quickly tip in to the raft on the initial torque of a speed slightly higher than minimum. If the motor were lifted out of the water by around 6", and secured in its upright position (not able to angle in easily), then I think it would be sufficient to get a faster speed and not cause steering issues or strain on the raft's onboard components. The design of the Intex motor mount is another factor that is off for the raft too. It's too far down, actually being well below the mid-line of vertical plane of the raft (where there's a rock guard around the perimeter of the raft), so it's distributing weight with the top-heavy engine on the aft of the boat, which is probably inducing the motor to dig in at an angle with enough propeller thrust.

Any ideas?
You should try using a small hydrofoil. .this will reduce the prop action from pulling down.as the motor mount is quite flexible. .this will help somewhat