Powerhead paintjob at the factory in the -80s, Johnson?

He rik

Seaman Apprentice
Anyone knows how they painted the motor/powerhead in the -80s at the johnson plant?
Done in parts or assembled powerhead?

I found that mine had painted carb-nuts and gaskets on the engine-side so my powerhead was painted carbs off with a block-off plate instead of the carbs, could this been done "as new" or is it done after?

Heck of a job if its done after since there is a lot of parts without any paint on it, might been replaced or taken off but seems unlikley and I had the motor since the mid -90s so I know I didnt..

Previous owner said he changed gearoil and plugs and just run it the ten years he owned it and at that time I found no reason to think otherwise, now I start to wonder if its a mostly untouched motor or if its been trough something big.

No biggie, just fun to learn

Or is it likley that a early -80s two-stroke never had the carbs removed and still runs good?

If this post is in the wrong section feel free to move or delet.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They paint the assembled block.----Then add all the wiring , electronics ,carburetors and hoses.

He rik

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, maybe been redone at some point then, have paint on the heat sensors and a bit of the wires, they may have been replaced as they seemed to been cut and jointed a coule of inches in, or is it maybe done that way?

Every other wire and elektrics are completly paint free and I painted enough in my life to know thats impossible whitout dissasemble everything you want pant free so if its done later the one who did it made a good job. :)
The ground wire between the powerhead and the rest is painted too.

Still got the testrun-lable on, cant see who did it anylonger but the lable is still there. :)

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
that thing looks mint! i can't imagine the carbs have never been through in 38 years though. but remember: back then they had alot more factory trained techs that did jobs better than today on average (good 2 stroke mechanics are harder to find), so it's unlikely you'd be able to tell if they were apart if they used the right tools.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many shops today have switched to SERVICE work by appointment,----They do not do major repair work anymore.-----Just a fact.