Power trim

goat lady

Cadet
I have a power trim question, I have a power trim with a Johnson 40 hp and it works both up and down, it’s full of fluid, no leaks at all, it has been making this loud grinding noise for the last three years, still works but I’m asking if anyone knows what would make this noise the motor, the pump or the piston, it is an older unit, the motor and pump are combined and the piston that raises the motor stands alone with two fluid lines connecting the two together, this grinding noise is loud enough to be heard 20 feet away or more, I need to fix this thing, if anyone has had one that makes this grinding noise, how did you fix it, without replacing the whole unit.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^clip with sight and sound? Maybe you have power tilt only (not trim). If you manually set trim in that case, locking it in, I suppose trying to operate the power tilt would have some interesting issues. Wild guess -- need that model number, as requested. Not the serial number.

goat lady

Cadet
Model # of your motor ?---Or picture of this unit ?
It’s an old 1990 model motor, here is a picture of the power trim, it bolts to one side of a CMC PT130 jack plate,

Attachments

• EB87E27E-75AF-4A1B-8ACD-83371734F91B.jpeg
    EB87E27E-75AF-4A1B-8ACD-83371734F91B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not anything that was made by the Johnson folks.----No idea how or where to get that fixed or if parts are available.