power trim wont go down

baney8184

Cadet
i got a 1970 glastron with a mercruiser 160 inline 6 in it.
i can get the power trim to go up but not down. the button doesnt work.(on dash) but the trim went down when i used the switch in the back under the dog house.
it waz put in by the preivious owner. i unhooked it cus it was a hack job there where wires runnin every where and some where bare. and the ground wire was melted. so i disconected it. but now the trim wont go down with the button thats on the dash.im pretty sure it did before.
is there anyway to get a wire diagram for the pump? the wireing this guy did on ths boat is bad. im in the prosses of trying to salvage what i can and rewire most of this boat. so i need tons of help.

also where do i check the fluid on the pump? i dont see a tank for it.

would there be something online that would help me?

Thanx N|ck

Last edited:

baney8184

Cadet
Re: power trim wont go down

im also wondering if anyone could tell me what model the outdrive would be.

im new to owning a boat. ive drove tons and my relatives have many but this is my first one.

Thanx N|ck

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard Nick,......

This site Right Here,..... Is the Perfect place to get you started......

You have a Pre-Alpha drive usually known as Mercruiser #1,... or Mod.1....Or just Pre-Alpha...

baney8184

Cadet

thanx Bond-o

that site looks like it should be pretty helpfull
and i seen that there are very helpfull people on this forum

anyone else have some more info?

Thanx N|ck

baney8184

Cadet

does anyone know where i would check the fluid on the motor for the power trim?

baney8184

Cadet

i still havnt gotten the lower unit to work yet.
it leaked down by its self. and now it wont do anything
the pump runs but it doesnt do anything. it sounds like its not building pressure. to me it seems like its runnin to fast,which is why i think its not building pressure.

should i maybe bleed the lines? and if i do where do i add the fluid. its haed to see which whole the fluid goes into.

this is what the pump looks like,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GLAS...009QQitemZ190235680088QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

ANY help would be great.
Thanx N|ck

baney8184

Cadet

i added fluid before but it didnt work.

what would happen if i added it in the vent hole???

and yeah i noticed that post after i bumped mine to the top. hahaha

Thanx N|ck

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

how much did you add? did you fill it up? if not fill it up... in the filler hole, not the vent hole. why do you ask what would happen??? did you put it in there?:) it shouldnt hurt a thing if you did though... goes to the same place. with the outdrive all the way down, fill the resevoir all the way up..

baney8184

Cadet

ummmm... yeah i did put sum in the vent hole haha. oops.
im goin to work on the boat tonight. and see what happens.
when i put the fluid in before the lower unit was up.
but now it leaked down.

i could see why it didnt wana go up but before when it was up it wouldnt go down....

Thanx N|ck

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

with the outdrive all the way down, fill the resevoir all the way up. then come tell us what happens.
did the fluid you added last time leak out... if so you need to find the leak.

baney8184

Cadet

also i seen that it says to use a 20w oil but i bought the acctual power trim fluid. should i use it?

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

when your low on fluid it wont go up or down.

it will go up and extend the cylinders until all of the oil in the resevoir is used up and moved into the cylinders. then there is no more fluid to pump so it will not go up any more or back down..

baney8184

Cadet

ok thanx tyson. will post what i come up with later tonight after i mess round with it.

Thanx N|ck

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

also i seen that it says to use a 20w oil but i bought the acctual power trim fluid. should i use it?

should be a sticker on the pump that tells you what to use. you can probably use either, but they should not be mixed... i use power steering or tranny fluid in mine. if your calls for 20w and you added trim fluid you should drain and replace with the 20w. disconnect the rear line on one of the cylinders on the outside of the boat. then work the drive up and down by hand. this will run the fluid out if there is any in there. then refill

Bondo

Staff member

if your calls for 20w and you added trim fluid you should drain and replace with the 20w.

Naw,.... It'll be Just Fine...... Danm near the Same Stuff......

Can you lift,+ lower the outdrive by Hand,..??

baney8184

Cadet

so i could leave the fluid in there eh?

last time i messed wit tha trim i could not lift it by hand it had pressure on it. i will have to check when i work on it tonight.

Peace N|ck

baney8184

Cadet

well i got the trim to work now :) it waz Very low on fluid.
but... i think i need to change the fluid, cuz the stuff that was in there is red and i added clear fluid.

now my next dilema... i was lookin around in the engine compartment, and i noticed this black box with fins on it on the back wall.... it has a place for a plug but there was not one there.... so i looked around a lil more and i seen the plug layin on the floor, looked it over and seen that there was a jumper wire jumping 2 of the 3 wires. i am asuming that it is a voltage regulator. and i take it, it went bad and some one bypassed it.

so i need to find a new one. i guessing thats why i have sum fried/melted wires in the engine compartment.....

anyone know where i can get a new one???

Thanx N|ck

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

the red stuff in the pump was tranny fluid... it wont hurt a thing. thats what i run in mine. if it was mine, i would drain and replace... but bond-o seems to think its not a problem... so its probably not a big deal. im just really particular about my boat:)

baney8184

Cadet

ok so i dont need to change it?

and what do ya think about the voltage reg?
the one that was on my boat is a remy delco...

Thanx N|ck