Power Surges At Low Speeds & Idle

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 98 Rinker 232 with Bravo 3 drive and Mercruiser 5.7. It is carburated not fuel injected. This weekend it had a tendency to wanna die when first putting in. It would fire up but then die as soon as I would try to open it up. Once warmed up it ran ok but not like it should. The problems I noticed was that at low speeds it would surge up and down. Basically vrrrr......vroom......vrrrr......vroom.... If that makes since. You could feel the boat surging up and down. It is also making a squeech which I'm pretty sure is a ideling bearing. It is not a belt. Think the two problems could be related? Any suggestions?

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Power Surges At Low Speeds & Idle

Could be your idler pulley seizing up and dragging the engine down with it. Start with the basics. Check your filters/water seperators,plugs,wires,make sure your choke is working properly and if possible have a look down your carb when the engine is running to see if fuel is dripping...

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think you are describing exactly my problem/solution. I have had fuel pumps and filters go bad on me plenty of times but it always seemed more appearent at higher rpms. Anyways I pulled the filter off and it was nasty. You should be able to blow through one with little resistance. This thing was like blowing through coffee stirrer vs. The new one which was like blowing throug a toilet paper roll. Only problem now is that it's gonna be hard to get out before the weekend to test it. I guess I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed with hopes that it solved the problem.

smarks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hope everything fixed and you have a great time!

Pass your experience along.

Steve

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well last weekend I had it out and it kept doing the same thing. I am going to rebuild the carb and add a new fuel pump. I think between those two it should solve my problem. I will report back.