Power Steering / Trim/Tilt oil in bilge and resevoir empty

CHIEF915

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any thoughts or experience on the Trim Tilt Resevoir emptying and Power Steering pump emptying into the bilge anyone? Validated it wasn't the engines, they were both correct on levels.

Bondo

Staff member
Any thoughts or experience on the Trim Tilt Resevoir emptying and Power Steering pump emptying into the bilge anyone? Validated it wasn't the engines, they were both correct on levels.

Ayuh,.... So what's low on oil, the trim, or the P/Steerin,..??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
potential areas with power steering:

bad pump seal
leaking reservoir to pump seal
leaking reservoir
leaking hose or fitting
leaking power steering cooler

potential areas with trim/tilt:

leaking reservoir
leaking hose or fitting

CHIEF915

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Both were low, after finding out during lunch they are two totally seperate systems, again I made an assumption that power steering and trim tilt fluid meant they were hooked together. Guess we know what assumptions make...

Anyways, I never filled up the resevoir on the trim/tilt after replacing the lift cylinders last year, so that is why that is low. The Power Steering I put almost a quart in last weekend and ended up with oil in the bilge and low P/S fluid, like low to where you could see the inner workings of the pump. I checked the whole pump body and lines at the pump, no wetness or leaks detected. Going to follow the lines back to the steering bar? (Marine Version of Rack/Pinion?) and see if I can find a leak there. No luck this year with boats. My other boat with an outboard I had to replace all fuel lines, filters and rebuild the fuel pump as they were all clogged with the interior of the old fuel lines.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
don't forget to check the ps cooler as scott said.

CHIEF915

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got down to the boat last night, filled the trim resevoir, no issues. On Power Steering found a loose hose clamp on the Power steering cooler, the area had oil residue as well, no oil on any other line, pump or rack/pinion?? not sure the proper name. Started held P/S fluid ran turned and bleed system out no leaks. We will see this coming weekend.