Power Steering Pump what ACDelco part number?

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I may have to rebuild my power steering pump before launching this season. Can anyone give me the ACDelco part number so that I can purchase a rebuild kit.
The pump goes under the Volvo part number of 3888323 but previous number was 3850491.
I noticed very heavy steering at the end of last season when I was taking her to be craned out.

alldodge

Staff member
Search for "saginaw power steering pump" and then find just the pump, you don't need the housing. Use one from a GM car or truck and it doesn't matter. If you want AC Delco or other this to is just a choice.

The one thing to use off your old pump is the valve which the high pressure line attaches to. This valve allows for more pressure to increase. Don't use the new one that comes with the pump, use the old one. Now if you buy a marine replacement, then the new valve should be the correct one.

https://www.summitracing.com/search...chevrolet/engine-family/chevy-big-block-gen-v

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
rebuild kits for the saginaw "can-of-ham" pumps are under $11 and your local napa will have them in stock. there are about 10 parts to the whole pump

also, verify its your pump. most likely its something else. pumps in boats dont die, they get murdered by something else failing

things that may cause "heavy steering":
frozen tiller arm pin
bad cable
actuator failing
low fluid
failed PS cooler pushing water into the system

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
All Dodge & Scott Danforth Thanks for the prompt replies, reason for wanting to know the ACDelco number is that there are several rebuild kits for this style of pump referring to different numbers. My nearest Napa store is a long way from Spain and I would need to order the correct kit and have it posted here, not just a pop into the local store and exchange it if it is not quite the correct one. All Dodge thanks for the relief valve idea and the link.