Power Steering Pump Disconnected

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Quick question, I have the power steering pump on my 3.7L Mercruiser 165hp engine, however its not hooked up, as in the belt was taken off. Does this need to be running and working for cooling on this engine or is it ok to run the engine without the power steering pump hooked up?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you have the power steering cylinder and no pump the steering will be a little stiffer to turn but you can run the motor without a belt.
You MUST supply water to the drive if your running it on land.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Just remember that you only have the alternator drive belt if you don't utilize the PS belt. If it ever breaks you have nothing turning your water pump.

HPLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Watermann, I have 2 engines, 2 PS Pumps and only the Starboard Engine has a belt. Should I add a PS Belt on the Portside Engine for safety only if the Alternator Belt Breaks?

alldodge

Staff member
Watermann, I have 2 engines, 2 PS Pumps and only the Starboard Engine has a belt. Should I add a PS Belt on the Portside Engine for safety only if the Alternator Belt Breaks?

No, I bet if you check there will be no fluid in the pump, and if you turn it without fluid it will burn it up. You don't need it for safety because you will be able to steer it will just be more difficult as BtDoc mentioned.

Most twin engine installs only use one power steering pump to control one steering ram going to both engines. All the engine packages are made alike and its easier to just remove one of the belts. The good thing is, if your PS pump ever went bad you have a spare. You could move the lines to your other engine or move the pump

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Twins are a lot to muscle without PS, you should check into getting it repaired.

What I could have said better is be sure the one belt is in good condition with proper tension since it's all you have turning the water pump.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Guy`s the 3.7 470 motor dosent use any belts except for a power steering belt