FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
I have a power steering pump that is partially locking up causing the belts to wear prematurely and break. Can I put an automotive pump in there? They are like 1/5 of the cost of a marine pump. Also how hard of a job is it to replace one of these?
Don't see any reason you can't get one at the auto parts store.
Don't even try to get the pulley off with a wheel puller or you will destroy it, it takes a special mandrel set up to pull it.
Thanks for the information. I dont think I need to pull the pulley because the pump sold at Auto Zone for the 4.3L GM comes with pulley attached. So I should just be able to pull the whole unit out and put in the new one I think?