Power Steering Issue

kaw

Recruit
I'm new to the forum, I bought a 1990 Sea Ray 160 BR with a 3.0 with a cracked head, I need to replace, I thought I got a deal, but maybe not. My question is about the steering. The wheel will not turn left or right. Is it because the power steering pump is not turning. I think it should still turn even though the engine isn't running, maybe just a little harder. Any ideas would be helpful.

Searayb

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Power Steering Issue

You are correct, it should still turn with the engine off.

trkr75

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like you steering cable is froze up. Try pumping some grease into it (should be a zert in the engine compartment towards toe end of the cable) Then on the out drives push and shove till it breaks free. Then think about getting a new steering cable.

kaw

Recruit

It was stuck and we did get it freed up. The boat had sat for awhile before I bought it, it's defineitely a project. I am replacing the motor as well because it has a cracked block. Another question I have. We removed the outdrive and have found a crack in the gimbal housing. Does anyone know if you can purchase a new gimbal housing plate without having to by the bellhousing as well. Is it possible to weld these pieces?019.JPG