Power Steering Advice

Andrew W

Cadet
Hello, looking for some thoughts on how to remedy my power steering issues. Had a leak a year and a half ago. Bought a rebuilt unit from a rebuilder that offered a 2 year warranty with core exchange. System started leaking out of the big cylinder this summer, and sent it in for warranty. Of course, it’s rejected because of where it’s leaking, and claimed I have crud in the system causing the leak by scratching the cylinder. Obviously extremely irritated with the lack of standing behind the rebuild, and honestly - no clue if they are blowing smoke. Looking for advice on how best to completely clear the system? Pull it all off and clean all hoses? What would you recommend as a flushing agent? Or would you buy all new hoses? This stuff ain’t cheap and is a complete pia to pull off and hate to deal with it again. Thanks for any advice.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The return line is simple 3/8" power steering hose, $5 a foot from NAPA

The pressure hose can be made at any hydraulic hose shop

The pump is a $35 GM Saginaw pump

The actuator seals are $75 from five-star marine

Oil in the system is anything from ATF to engine oil to hydraulic oil.

If you want to flush it, simply buy a few gallons of the cheapest Walmart oil

Andrew W

Cadet

Thanks Scott - Five Star is the company that told me it’s not rebuildable and I need a new actuator - despite the 2 year warranty. I guess I get where they are coming from, but should disclose this better. I’ll research the other stuff. Forgot to mention it’s a 2008 4.3gxi-j. I assume it has the pump you reference.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks Scott - Five Star is the company that told me it’s not rebuildable and I need a new actuator - despite the 2 year warranty. I guess I get where they are coming from, but should disclose this better. I’ll research the other stuff. Forgot to mention it’s a 2008 4.3gxi-j. I assume it has the pump you reference.
Nearly every boat has a GM Saginaw power steering pump. The rebuild kits are $14, the complete pump cartridge is $35. The PRV is about $30. However suggest you use the one you have

Buy a used actuator and reseal it yourself

lvhdude

Cadet

The actuator is the shuttle sleeve that the steering cable attaches to, yes? Are the seals for the power cylinder also available to your knowledge? Mine pours oil like a seive. Like to reseal it all at the same time. Sorry about the hijack. Thanks.

jbcurt00

Staff member
The actuator is the shuttle sleeve that the steering cable attaches to, yes? Are the seals for the power cylinder also available to your knowledge? Mine pours oil like a seive. Like to reseal it all at the same time. Sorry about the hijack. Thanks.
Start a topic about your motor and ask questions there