Power steering actuator

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
I have a slight leak coming from the rubber boot Ive circled in red,... is there any adjustment to tighten this ball joint via the two red arrows Ive made, is the aluminum plate ive pointed out an adjustment for the ball joint ?

Attachments

• photo267076.jpg
    photo267076.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 12

Rick Stephens

Admiral
That actuator is covered really well in the Mercruiser manual for that model outdrive.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
That actuator is covered really well in the Mercruiser manual for that model outdrive.
You know I started to do that and it seems there are soo many different variations of actuators. You wouldnt happen to have a link ??

Rick Stephens

Admiral
You know I started to do that and it seems there are soo many different variations of actuators. You wouldnt happen to have a link ??

While Bt Doc posted the link to the manual for the steering, I would have pulled it off the drive manual. Problem is, no way of knowing anything about what you're working on. Stick that in your signature and it is easier to reference. Your long list makes it tougher.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
that is from the drive manual? I believe it is used in the Corvette too http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2012/03/1963-82-corvette-power-steering-service/

My Alpha 1 Gen2 PDF Service Manual includes sections on the two different types of power steering actuators used for those years. If I am not mistaken the lik you posted was specific just to the power steering servicing. That's all I meant. I couldn't tell what service manual to link to since we don't know what drive. You cut to the chase better'n me.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
So the leak seem to between the control valve and the ball stud,.. but I looks like increasing the pressure on that seal via the adjustment nut, or if that'll pressure the seal more, or just through off the adjustment.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Shaw, I went through this last season and it took me months to find the culprit. If memory serves, that ball joint assembly has no fluid behind it- the rubber boot is merely a dust cover. That isn't the source of the leak.

The problem, of course, is that the fluid is very thin and travels everywhere. In my boat, the system is nearly impossible to eyeball properly. Can't get my head back there. After deciding I needed to replace the actuator I took one last stab at it and found some evidence that the high pressure hose was leaking at the fitting. I crossed myself, replaced both hoses and the problem went away.

Searched through my posts and found this- you started this thread last year. I responded in more detail here...

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi.../10289111-power-steering-leak-in-odd-location

My .02

Last edited:

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Yes Jolin,..still chasing the same leak. Its def not coming from one of the hi/low lines, ive checked thoughly. It is definatly coming from the rubber boot on the ball stud, and you are correct in saying that theres not supposed to be fluid there, but looking at the schematics linked above there's a seal between the pressure side and the ball stud. Im going to try and tighten the adjuster nut at the end ( under the dust cover), but the may end up throwing the balance adjutment off.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
So looking at the schematics linked above by BtDr, (thank you btdr), the adjustment bolt that runs through the control valve, would appear to contain the pressure seals at each end. Its my guess that this is the source of my leak. Further indication of this is that some of the Special 101 grease that is supposed to be in the ball stud has migrated out with the help of the fluid.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
There is a seal kit made to rebuild the spool in those. Usually have to hone and start fresh as opposed to just dropping seals in, same as a hydraulic control in a tractor. Not sure what it would cost for an automotive replacement actuator, getting one from Mercruiser is around $500. Way more than it should cost.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Way more than it should cost.
You got that right!. I would take my chance with a $99 ebay purchase first. I also have one sitting in my 92 Winner that might work, but as Jolin has pointed out, these units are tucked in there pretty tight, and a bear to swap out, may be easier to service in place.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
You got that right!. I would take my chance with a $99 ebay purchase first. I also have one sitting in my 92 Winner that might work, but as Jolin has pointed out, these units are tucked in there pretty tight, and a bear to swap out, may be easier to service in place.

There is no difference between the automotive one and the 'OEM Merc' model. Rock Island sells them for a couple hundred. No way I would shell out more. ANd like you, I'd grab one off a grannymobile at a wrecking yard first.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Yes Jolin,..still chasing the same leak. Its def not coming from one of the hi/low lines, ive checked thoughly. It is definatly coming from the rubber boot on the ball stud, and you are correct in saying that theres not supposed to be fluid there, but looking at the schematics linked above there's a seal between the pressure side and the ball stud. Im going to try and tighten the adjuster nut at the end ( under the dust cover), but the may end up throwing the balance adjutment off.

Well, that stinks. I guess I got lucky. I know firsthand what a PITA it is to troubleshoot. I'm sure you'll get it.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Here's what I did; Removed the end cap (dust cover) from the spool,.. tightened the balance adjuster nut 1-1/2 turns, starter engine and wheel turned immediately to the right. Then gradually backed it out till the wheel would stay centered while running,without any creep in either direction. I also turned wheel in both directions and adjusted till the resistance felt equal in either direction. This has seemed to stop 95% of the leak, after taking a 15 mile run there was just a couple drops on the oil absorbing pad that I put under it...and that may even be residual left over. So my fingers are crossed that this cured the leak