power question for 1982 macgregor

boaterlady

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 6, 2015
Messages
66
Sooooo, I am back. Thanks to all who advised before on an old Aquarius we bought for $1000 and attempted to restore. Turns out, we got an even better boat for $500. She is slipped and ready to go....almost. I mean, she has been sailed regularly thus far. We are working on the outboard with a mechanic. We brought the outboard from the other boat with us so it was still a bit of a win even if we are scrapping her. I just wanted to recap on the power question I had before. She is not wired but we want, in fact NEED to run AC because it's Las Vegas and 105 degrees. We also wish to run a little fridge, maybe a hot plate and some ipads, phones. Will the 30 amp cord do? So, just plug her in and that's it? Do we buy a power strip to run off of it? Thank you
 

tpenfield

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
19,565
You really need to wire the boat for A/C power, and you might as well tie in a DC converter to charge the batteries while on shore power. The 30 Amp cords are twist lock, so a regular power strip will not do the trick, if you have no A/C wiring and outlets in the boat. Then there is the question of the Air Conditioner unit. Portable or hard wired?
 

boaterlady

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 6, 2015
Messages
66
It's a $500 boat. I don't want to spend a heck of a lot as it is a practice boat. The AC will be portable.
 
Top