Power Packs

RiL

Seaman Apprentice
I was told that low voltage from the batt. would cause the power pack to go bad. Is this true and how can I protect or prevent this from happening?<br />Rick

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Power Packs

Hi RiL,<br />If someone could show me a connection from the power pack to the battery I maybe could believe it. The power packs are supplied 2 voltages that are AC and are supplied by the stator, and timer base under the flywheel. The powerpacks Changes this AC voltages to DC they store the larger voltage in a capacitor until the timer base says to discharge it to an ignition coil.<br />To answer your question, the battery has nothing to do with the power packs. If however the battery is low you might not be able to spin the engine over fast enough to start it.<br />Hope this clears it up for you.

RiL

Seaman Apprentice

ARA,<br />Thanks, what causes a power pack to go bad? I am not getting fire to the plugs and this is what I was told the problem probably was. He said he would check it and let me know.<br />Thanks again,<br />Rick

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

RiL..... The battery voltage problem pertains to the Battery Capacitance Discharge systems that existed from 1968 to 1972 in various Evinrude/Johnson models.<br /><br />Starting in 1973, OMC changed the ignition system over to what is called a Magneto Capacitance Discharge system which is self contained and does not rely on a battery for its power source (What Almost Retired Again has explained).

petryshyn

Commander

Rick<br /><br />A sulphated battery is often mistakenly referred to as a low battery. If your battery is sulphated, is appears "low". A sulphated battery can allow the charging voltage to rise above the safe limits of some ignition systems that Joe referred to. If your engine falls within the vintages Joe mentioned, your mechanic may not be too far off.....<br /><br />The way you can protect against this is to install a voltmeter and monitor the voltage while running. Have your battery tested. Don't let the voltage creap above 15 volts. Switch on some lights or accessories if needed to keep the voltage down......<br /> :)