Power of the Press

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just imagine what could be achieved if the news industry would fully cooperate with our governments in the war against terror - like they did in WWII ?<br /><br />Imagine if there was a complete ban against reporting the kidnappings and beheadings ? So next time the terrorists kidnap an innocent person - nobody (except the government) knows about it - the terrorists would not get what they are looking for (terrorising the general public) and would stop doing it. No payback for them.<br /><br />Are the lives of these kidnapping victims not worth the price of a news blockage on that subject ?<br /><br />What price freedom of the press ?<br /><br />BTW - I would only advocate this in times of war and life & death situations.<br /><br />...and ok, I'm sure I'm going to get shot down over this one...

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Power of the Press

The results would be totally opposite what the results are under thier current strategy, would they?<br /> <br />But unfortunately, it's the same for our treatment of POWs. Everyone knows about Abu Grieb, because of the media. But what if we used OUR media like they use thier media, namely "AlJazeeera"? We would see these mutants about to behead some poor lineman, and then, we would see our miltary doing the same with one of our POW's at gitmo...An eye-for-an-eye strategy.<br />It would at minimum, make them think twice before harming one hair on the lineman's half-bald head.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Power of the Press

12Footer, I guess my point is that the less publicised the terror acts are - the less impact they have....ie it's impossible to have terror where nobody knows about it.<br /><br />The terrorists are using the news media as a tool to terrorise the general public.<br /><br />My gut instinct agrees with the eye-for-an-eye strategy - except that after a while, everyone forgets who the bad guys are... and unfortunately that strategy hasn't worked for Israel either.<br /><br />I'm with you in intent....anything to stop any more innocent and harmless old men getting murdererd by these scumbags...