Power Inverter?

tandg96

Cadet
Kid's want a TV/Playstation in the boat for overnights. Wife and I would love a coffee pot for mornings on the water! Right now I currently have a "big" battery and two regular marine deep cycle batteries. We also have a microwave on board (will not run unless hooked to shore power)
Any recomendations on a power inverter?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Power Inverter?

You need to estimate the AC wattage you need for surge and for continuous usage. Now choose an inverter to match.

The coffee pot likely uses the most juice, but doesn't surge too much. The microwave may have a surge need, like a fridge. The games are low usage, except for the TV monitor.

eastern27

Seaman

Kid's want a TV/Playstation in the boat for overnights. Wife and I would love a coffee pot for mornings on the water! Right now I currently have a "big" battery and two regular marine deep cycle batteries. We also have a microwave on board (will not run unless hooked to shore power)
Any recomendations on a power inverter?
Xantrex makes 2, Pro 1000 and Pro 1800. I have a Pro 1800, 1800W. They have built in transfer switches, so you can wire all the AC circuits off the inverter. When you plug in the shore power the AC lines get shore power, when you unplug it switches to inverter power. My 1800 was about $350.

DrD

Seaman

Xantrex also makes the Prosine family. For best results, just make sure it is a "true sine wave" inverter, and not a modified, or approximation of sine wave device.

When you consider your needs, add all the wattage ratings of the appliances you intend to use. Then decide how long you will be using them. You have enough information at that point to compute how much energy you will use in watt-hours.

The next step is to visit the Xantrex web site and you can find out the inverter that would best fill your needs, as well as the battery capacity necessary to supply your loads.

You can start your final research here: http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/7/learn.asp