power buffer with 3m polish

Deimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was going to use my power buffer to brighten up the gellcoat on my boat. It is not in that bad of shape, (some minor scratches with a few small gouges where people always get in)

I was wondering if this would be to abrasive or create too much heat for the gelcoat.

Also what is a good compound to use in this aplication. After its done what should I use to keep it bright and scratch free?

boat.jpg

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: power buffer with 3m polish

Foam buffing pads have made great strides in the market place, just make sure it's a buffing pad not a polishing pad

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Do not use 3m Heavy cut Get the light cut and start there. Have fun.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Bob_VT said:
Do not use 3m Heavy cut Get the light cut and start there. Have fun.

Agreed! Unless you want to do it more times then necessary.

If it is really oxidized and scratched up, get yourself some 3M high gloss glecoat compound. It is harder to find but it is specifically designed for gelcoat and works head and shoulders better than the other 3M stuff on gelcoat. Use it with a wool buffing pad.

If the gelcoat is white or a light color you can most likely step right to waxing with a polishing pad (the yellow ones). If it's a darker color or you have an extremely anal eye then you will have to use something like 3M finese-it (with polishing pad)
inbetween buffing and waxing.

sailsmanship

Petty Officer 1st Class

3M Finnesse-It II Polishing Compound w/polishing pad, (not cutting pad ) @ 2500 -2900 rpm. followed up with a good wax ... Purrrrr -fect...........