Power and stopping for towing

BKSinAZ

Cadet
Forgive me for my silly questions, but I am a new boat owner. First boat ever! I just bought a Reinell 204 FNS. The boat, dry and by it's self, weighs about 2700 pounds. I dont know how much the trailer that came with the boat weighs, but I would over estimate by saying 1200 pounds. <br /><br />Would a 1998 (or newer) Ford F150 with a V8 be able to tow this combined weight? What about thru some hilly terrain (not too often)? Would I have problems stopping?

EZLoader

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Power and stopping for towing

Any "properly rated" pickup with the right trailer tow accessories and options, including trailer brakes, should be ok...<br /><br />
trailersailorgoof.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The vehicle you mentioned will handle that load with ease. The trailer should have either electric or surge brakes. It varies from state to state, but most states require them if the trailer is over about 2500# - 3500#. If the trailer does not have brakes, they can be added provided the axle has a square plate with four holes in it located just behind each wheel. The brake assembly bolts to that plate.

jeff_nicholas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Last year I towed a travel trailer (about 4,000#) from SC to Alaska and back w/ a 1998 F-150 4.6. Not a hint of trouble or concern. You will need some kind of trailer brakes.<br />
4-6_23trailer.jpg