Poured foam residue on fiberglass hull - remove?

NWLundguy

Cadet
I have removed all the wood from my fiberglass runabout hull, and will be glassing in a new transom and stringers. Are you guys grinding off the poured foam residue where new glass will be applied? Or, glassing over the residue? My hull interior (bilge area) is woven-roving, so there is substantial grinding required to level it, and remove the foam residue from the pits. I tried aircraft paint stripper, but it wasn't very effective. It did soften the residue. I am going to use epoxy since I have it left over from an airplane project. I did a search but couldn?t find prior posts on this.

Thanks, Brian

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Poured foam residue on fiberglass hull - remove?

If you don't remove it all and prep the old glass properly the new glass won't bond well.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, what cadwelder^^^^ said. Get a Tyvek suit, goggles and a good Respirator and start the Grinding Process.;)

NWLundguy

Cadet

Thanks guys... will do. Last night I only did a small test area grind, and it resulted in fiberglass dust on everything in the shop and garage, so I'm going to roll the "hull on trailer" outside for the "big grind." Fortunately my project is only a simple 16 footer!!!

Attachments

• Boat9.jpg
    Boat9.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat10.jpg
    Boat10.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 0

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Thanks guys... will do. Last night I only did a small test area grind, and it resulted in fiberglass dust on everything in the shop and garage, so I'm going to roll the "hull on trailer" outside for the "big grind." Fortunately my project is only a simple 16 footer!!!

Um..yea..get a good scraper and remove as much foam in bulk before grinding ..

Cool setup there..is that one of them "dustless" air D/A's you got there ?

YD.

NWLundguy

Cadet

YD,
No, just an older Sioux 690X sander. The loose fitting plastic sleave is the exhaust, which cuts down on noise. I'd purchase another one in a minute. One of the most frequently used tools in my shop. Never gets put away.

Hey YD,
I removed all the poured foam from the bilge, and I wasn't planning on replacement. I appreciate the structure and strength it contributes to the overall boat (wave pounding). Do you think additional stringers are needed to support the hull? Maybe 4 equally spaced, instead to 2, as shown in the photos (OEM)? The hull doesn't deflect at all when I walk around on it (165#'s). 1972 built, hand laid fabric, no chop glass. I'm restoring for my own long term use, so I want to do it right. Not intimidated by additional structure if needed. I?m questioning the span between the basic 2x stringers (to be replaced); without foam support. What's your take? Starting from scratch so might as well re-build it right. Any comments welcome.