**Pound 4 Pound**

Kev_lar

Cadet
What is the better boat NOT including the motor:
95 Robalo 21'
96 Mako 22'
97 Hydra Sport 20'

I was able to get the sellers all at the same price but just wanted to hear some opinions of these boats by owners of these boats.

Thanks,
Kevin

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: **Pound 4 Pound**

Really is buyers choice of what YOU like and what was stored and kept up properly. If the newest one was stored improperly then it could be junk! It is all about upkeep on used.

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe all 3 are wood construction, so what Bob said, whitch one was taken care of best?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

those older Mako's were good hulls
Mid 70's thru the late 80's where the Mako haydays. By the time this boat was built the company was in "transition" so I'm don't think that hull falls under that category.

Contrary to popular opinion, when it comes to offshore style boats condition isn't everything. A wet, rough riding hull in good condition will cost you more in chiropractor bills than it would take to restore a "classic" offshore hull of lessor condition. ;)

NHGuy

Captain

I don't need no chiropractor, I suffer!

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class

Contrary to popular opinion, when it comes to offshore style boats condition isn't everything. A wet, rough riding hull in good condition will cost you more in chiropractor bills that it would take to restore a "classic" offshore hull of lessor condition. ;)
Ok dingbat, I'm curious as I have looked at boats that the OP has mentioned but have never owned one. Which one of the 3 would be the best offshore hull?

Kev_lar

Cadet

I wanted to know the same question DC20? I want to take one of these boats offshore/nearshore, so i would like to know which hull is better suited (comfort) wise on the open sea like 15-30 miles out.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Kev, the boat with the deepest V will ride best through the chop. I'm kinda partial to Mako but I agree the older ones were the best.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

very boat is a compromise in one way or another so you need to decide what characteristics best suit your needs.

A steep deadrise is great for running in the rough, but they require a lot of HP, the bow tends to wonder at slower speeds and they rock a lot on drift. Great for crashing your way out to the offshore canyons. Not so good for drift fishing or trying to get a good nights sleep on the hook.

On the other hand, a shallow deadrise will beat you to death running in the rough, but you can get by with a lot less HP, they handle well at slow speeds and are very stable at drift. Most Skiff type boats fall into this category as do the very popular Parker fishing boats

Then there is the mod-v hull. The Mod-V is characterized by a steep deadrise at the bow to slice there the waves then tapers up to a shallower deadrise at the transom for added stability on the drift. The hull will pound a bit when it get real rough but the trade off is stability at rest. You still get a bit of bow wonder but it's typically under specific conditions which can be avoided most of the time.

The mod-V is a very popular hull on the East coast where most of the time is spent boating in semi-protected waters. Rough water performance is a concern but stability at anchor and on drift is the primary consideration. The Grady White SeaV2 hull excels under these conditions which is why they are so popular up and down the east coast.

Of the three boats you’ve listed I'd have to go with the Mako for no other reason than it's size. I've always said that a boat shrinks a foot for every five miles away from the shore you go. Do you really want to be 25 miles offshore in a 15' boat?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If all three were in good health and no Boston Whaler was available I think I would go with the Robalo, but it would be very close. The Robalos I have fished from were just a little bit better fit and finish. The Mako is also a great offshore boat.

But that is all academic. I would go find a early to mid '80s Boston Whaler 22 Outrage with a good history. You can always sell a classic Whaler for as much or more than you paid for it.