Potential of wake surfing behind an I/O with prop guard? (as of 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuren

Recruit
I'm new here and trying to get my head around the equipment used for wake surfing.

Before everyone jumps on me about the general idea of wake surfing behind an I/O, I've been reading about newer products that would cover the prop:

https://www.3poboat.com/

There is another company out there with a similar solution but can't find the link again.

I 100% agree that wake surfing behind a standard I/O or outboard is dumb. However, I see the question asked of riding behind an I/O mostly came before products like the one above were offered. There is also a new Volvo Penta I/O where the prop is on the forward side of the drive (http://www.volvopentaforwarddrive.com/). Both companies are marketing their solutions as safe for wake surfing.

So I would like to hear some opinions. Again, I 100% agree that surfing behind a standard I/O is an accident waiting to happen, but what if the prop had a guard or was reversed (eg. Penta Forward Drive) to keep the spinning blades of death away from the rider?

Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you cant make an I/O safe enough to wake surf behind it.

you need to find a boat that actually has a volvo forward drive as an offering. the general public hasnt accepted it so its had limited success.

get a jet drive (terrible wake)
or get an inboard wakeboat (about the only one there)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You mean this drive
Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_4111a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	133.3 KB ID:	10616671
It would make a great trencher, as when it is fully tillted up, it needs deeper water than when it is fully down> This one unit you can rarely bring to shore. A real pain to trailer too

oldjeep

Admiral
That prop cage isnt going to stop you from slamming soft parts of your anatomy into sharp metal. Not to mention how bad that thi g would clog full of weeds

briangcc

Commander
In theory, the Volvo drive would be safer. They've been out for a few years now and from what I've seen they really haven't taken off. The main detractor for me is that now the prop is directly subjected to anything you might hit. More than likely the chance to do catastrophic damage increases - no skeg to help get you up/over something. That and it's a Volvo so parts and repairs are going to be pricey compared to a Merc.

The guard doesn't appear to be doing much other than emptying the wallet.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The guard doesn't appear to be doing much other than emptying the wallet.

But then it does a fine job. It's nothing but a fancy trolling plate.

How about the prop nut that acts like a potato shoved up a tail pipe and the only "action" pics are revving the motor at the dock and no offer of proof of "decreasing cavitation and focusing water flow from the exhaust"? It looks pretty. :facepalm:

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
We surf behind out I/O a little differently. Shorten a ski rope, and this is a trial and error thing, go about 11 knots, trim up the drive a little, and surf a 3 foot wave 25-30 feet behind the boat.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It more about the boat really. The boats that most surf from are almost flat bottomed stern deep and heavy orientated to make a big hole in the water producing such a wake. Added to this, they have an extended gate on the transom and usually huge capacity ballast to further bias the wake to one side.
Presuming you might have your average v shape generic hull and outdrive means you’re off to a non starter already. Obvious danger aside, you would need a surf gate made up and somehow find room for a ballast tank to the rear and one side. Even then, it may all be a wasted effort for the likely poor result.

You mention the ips drive, yes these have opposite facing props, but that’s not really relevant. The relevance with those is the boat they are fitted too.
All the best.

ignisuti

Recruit
Reviving this old post...

I have an I/O boat that I love AND I can't afford a wakesurf boat AND I'm dying (pun intended) to try wakesurfing.

Can we get some more feedback from people that do wakesurf behind an I/O? The propeller safety cage should work, right...? If you end up slamming into it, you end up with a bruise, broken bone, or worst case some missing fingers (assuming the cage doesn't fall apart), right...?

Is it easy to run into the back of the board while wakesurfing?

Someone mentioned doing this 25-30 feet behind the boat. I'm toying with that idea too. That's something I can try as soon as I purchase a board. Can someone share their experience with this? I'm assuming the wake is just too small and not worthwhile.

An added safety measure would be to add a large swim platform over the outdrive unit meaning you'd have to accelerate towards AND under the boat to have an incident.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
We shouldn't resurrect old threads like this one. Maybe copy and paste your question in a new thread... Closed.... Thanks....
Musky

Status
Not open for further replies.