Postpone november elections?...

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
There's recently been some talk about the U.S. Election Assistance Commission pushing Tom Ridge/homeland security to ask congress to push legislation giving the government the power to cancel and reschedule the november federal elections due to the posibility of terrorist attacks.... <br /><br /> Who would be in charge of making that call? Homeland security? Tom Ridge? Dubya himself? Who?<br /><br />Personally, I think that this is a very bad idea... Giving the government power to call off and reschedule a federal election because of the posibility of, or even worse, a full blown terorist attack, would be like giving the fox the keys to the chicken coupe.. Talk about consipracy posibilities, can you all imagine the mess afterward? <br /><br />The election should go on, no matter what!<br /><br />Good idea? Bad idea? Your thoughts?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Postpone november elections?...

Remember what happened in Spain, Snapper? <br /><br />Would you want terrorists to elect Kerry by causing a short-term panic?<br /><br />Seems to me that if anyone can reschedule, it should be both houses of Congress.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Don't see myself what difference it makes.....if a terrorist can attack on a scheduled election day, he sure can attack on a rescheduled election day........unless it's going to be a "surprise" election. :confused:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hey OBJ, I think you stumbled on to something here. Lets just cancel the election right now. Reset it for "sometime" in, let's say, October. We will wake up some morning in October, to the news, that THIS is election day. We'll catch those unsuspecting terrorists with a SURPRISE ELECTION. :D

NathanY

Commander

FEMA has already been setup to do this for more than 30 years, in the event that there is an attack on America.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Yes I remember Spain, JB.... As for Kerry being elected in a short term pannic, the same thing could be said for re-electing Bush...<br /><br />I see Kerry winning in a landslide anyway.. Worst since Reagan & Carter election I betcha...<br /><br />I want to know who would make the call to cancel? <br /><br />Short term scenerio for you: Election is tomorrow.. Alleged terrorist threat today.. Who will make the call to cancel?<br /><br />Excellent point OBJ...<br /><br />Nate.. FEMA has no authority over elections...

BassMan283

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm more afraid of terrorists electing Dub by causing a short term panic.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I'd say cancel the election forever, but then I'd be stuck with 2 lousy senators.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well the name "Homeland Security" says it all.<br />If it was to happen, I would think that they, above mentioned, should have the duty to make the call.<br /><br />But like OBJ said, if the can do it on one election day, there's nothing to stop them from doing it on any day. IMHO.<br /><br />
I see Kerry winning in a landslide anyway..
Come on snapper, even you don't believe that. <br />It's just wishful thinking on your part.<br /><br />If by some slim chance, and I mean real slim, that Kerry would win, I would have to sell out cause the US would be headed down the tubes for sure.

ndemge

Commander

Perhaps if we built a large wooden badger...

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Kerry in a landslide? Yeah, when pigs fly!<br /><br />I think there should be NO discussion of altering ANYTHING whatsoever about our democratic process. We should not allow terrorism to influence our behavior one iota!<br /><br /><br />-dd-

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Amen, dogsdad. Just as we did right after 9/11, we should adopt a policy of "no Fear". Every time they get a victory such as Spain,France, or a successfull attack such as those of 9/11, we should go about our buisness while being vigillant. Isreal has had to do this since the begining. We should take lessons from them. <br />We should fly our commercial aircraft as they do,<br />We should retaliate to attack the way they do.<br />We should secure our public places and borders as thet have learned to do.<br />We are after all, at war with Muslim terrorists.<br />When thier terror instills fear, they have another victory.