Posting photos step by step with illustrations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is a link to a how video done by Xcusme on this subject. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=286079

Be sure to read ?ALL? of this thread, at the bottom is the most important information. It is how to ?resize? a photo ?before? you post it to Iboats! The photos should be no larger than 640 x 480 in size. The best normal size to use when resizing is 320 x 240.
Use the 320 x 240 size if you just want to show a photo of your boat, kids, dog or so on.
Use the size of 640 x 480 for photos that you want to show detail in for some reason. Then the photo is bigger and even us old people with poor eyesight can see the details.

An example would be if you posted this question here ?what are these tiny little things right here in my fiberglass??

Then you will receive a reply from ?Oops? (commenting on your bigger photo), and tell you ?those are microscopic air bubbles in your fiberglass thus allowing a poor bond between the fiberglass mesh and the hull of the boat!? he would then carry on endlessly, exasperating his extensive knowledge of fiber glassing explaining why. Then refer you to the ?Iboats manifesto of the infamous ?hull extension in progress with picks? thread.? LOL That link is here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

A very good thread and a must read also! But, be sure to pack a lunch before you start to read the thread because it will take you into the wee hours of the morning to get done reading it. LOL.

Last edited:

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now on to ?how to post a photo.?

How to upload a photo to Iboats Step by Step instructions.
1. Open a Photobucket account http://photobucket.com/
2. Click on ?Join Now.?
3. Fill out information. Make up a user name and password. Click ?next.?
4. Fill out name, email address, gender, birthday, zip code. Type the code they give you into the box below. Click ?next.?
Now you have an account and the page will look something like this. (Yours will be different remember this is my page.)

1.jpg

In the middle you see ?choose file? to the right of it you see ?from? If the file is on your computer then click the circle to the left side of computer or if it?s on the web click the circle next to that.

computer.jpg

I will cover both ways, first from your computer then from the web.

From computer:
1. Make sure the circle next to my computer is filled in. Then to the ?left click? choose files.

my-computer-1.jpg

Once you click on choose file a window opens up and you?re looking at your computer. The top left corner will be another window for you to drill down to the file that the photo is kept in. (This is different and dependent on what your operating system is.)

popup-computer-1.jpg

2. Click on the photo you want to upload. Then press the ?open? button.
3. Once the photo uploads scroll down to the bottom of the new page and press ?Save and continue? button.
Saveandcontinue.jpg

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Posting a photo from Photobucket.

Posting a photo from Photobucket.

Now they are uploaded.

Now:
1. ?Left click? the mouse button on the photo you want to get on to Iboats. It will show up on the next page.
2. When the page shows up hold your mouse over the middle of the photo you want to get and ?Right Click? the mouse button, a menu pops up.
3. Now look at the bottom of the menu and left click on the word ?Properties?

Windowpopsupproperties.jpg

4. With your mouse starting at the very beginning of the address (just before the first H in HTTP) ?Left Click? the mouse and HOLD down the button while you move the mouse to the very last letter in the address. (this is very important to get all of the address)
5. It will be highlighted now. Let go of the mouse button but ?do not click anything yet!?

highlighted.jpg

6. Place the mouse curser in the ?middle? of the blue highlighted area and ?right click? the mouse button. A menu pops up, now move your curser down to click the word ?copy? You now have that address temporarily copied into your computer?s memory.

copy.jpg

7. Now go back to your Iboats page where you are typing your post to the thread that you are working on. Above the window you?re typing in you see a yellow picture click on that.

Iboats1.jpg

8. A new window pops up with HTTP in it, highlight it like you just done before be starting at the first letter and holding down the mouse button and dragging it to the last letter then let go of the button. Put your mouse in the middle of the blue highlighted area ?right click? the mouse button a menu pops up and now slide down to choose paste.

Iboats2.jpg

9. Click ?Ok? and now it is in the window your writing in but it looks like this.

lookslike.jpg

Last edited:

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

10. Now complete what you want to write and click on the ?preview post? button to see if it turned out right. If the photo does not show up start over and pay close attention to what you do. All you have to do is miss one letter or one step and it will not work.

previewpost.jpg

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To upload using a photo from the web.

To upload using a photo from the web.

To upload using a photo from the web. This will work most of the time but some web sites do not allow links to their photos nor do they allow you to left click on a photo. If you find out a photo you want to use from the web tells you ?this is not allowed? well then you can?t do it.

There is a way that it can be done but it is WAY too much trouble for me to teach you. Just know this ?If you seen the photo on your computer?s screen it ?IS? on your computer?s hard drive!? I guarantee it!

How to do that would be a different class for later. It is called ?How to rob a copy righted photo from the internet? and is illegal to do. LOL! It can be done but I will not show you how because it is a copy right infringement and is illegal to do.

Last edited:

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Posting a photo from an existing web site.

1. Find the photo on the internet that you want to post to Iboats.
2. When the page shows up hold your mouse over the middle of the photo you want to get and ?Right Click? the mouse button, a menu pops up.

webpage1.jpg

3. Now look at the bottom of the menu and left click on the word ?Properties?

web-prop.jpg

4. With your mouse starting at the very beginning of the address (just before the first H in HTTP) ?Left Click? the mouse and HOLD down the button while you move the mouse to the very last letter in the address. (This is very important to get all of the address.)

propclose.jpg

5. It will be highlighted now. Let go of the mouse button but ?do not click anything yet!?
6. Place the mouse curser in the middle of the blue highlighted area and ?right click? the mouse button. A menu pops up, now move your curser down to click the word ?copy? You now have that address temporarily copied into your computer?s memory.

webcopy.jpg

7. Go back to Photobucket and paste it into the section for ?upload image?

webpaste.jpg

8. Repeat for all photos you want to upload. Then click the blue upload button below.
9. Once the photo uploads scroll down to the bottom of the new page and press ?Save and continue.?

Saveandcontinue.jpg

10. Once the photo is uploaded to Photobucket you can now get the address and post it to Iboats.
11. When the page shows up in Photobucket that has the photo you want, hold your mouse over the middle of the photo you want to get and ?Right Click? the mouse button, a menu pops up.

Last edited:

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

12. Now look at the bottom of the menu and left click on the word ?Properties?

Windowpopsupproperties.jpg

13. With your mouse starting at the very beginning of the address (just before the first H in HTTP) ?Left Click? the mouse and HOLD down the button while you move the mouse to the very last letter in the address. (this is very important to get all of the address)

propclose.jpg

14. It will be highlighted now. Let go of the mouse button but ?do not click anything yet!?
15. Place the mouse curser in the middle of the blue highlighted area and ?right click? the mouse button. A menu pops up, now move your curser down to click the word ?copy? You now have that address temporarily copied into your computer?s memory.

copy.jpg

16. Now go back to your Iboats page where you are typing your post to the thread that you are working on. Above the window you?re typing in you see a yellow picture click on that.

Iboats1.jpg

17. A new window pops up with HTTP in it, highlight it like you just done before be starting at the first letter and holding down the mouse button and dragging it to the last letter then let go of the button. Put your mouse in the middle of the blue highlighted area ?right click? the mouse button a menu pops up and now slide down to choose paste.

Iboats2.jpg

18. Click ?Ok? and now it is in the window your writing in but it looks like this.

lookslike.jpg

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

19. Now complete what you want to write and click on the ?preview post? button to see if it turned out right. If the photo does not show up start over and pay close attention to what you do. All you have to do is miss one letter or one step and it will not work.

previewpost.jpg

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Resizing a photo in photo bucket.

1. Open your Photobucket account and find the photo you want to post, click on the photo to open it in Photobucket.

PB.jpg

2. Once the photo is open in Photobucket go to the top of the photo with your mouse until a menu drops down for options.

options.jpg

3. Click on the ?resize? button in menu.

resize.jpg

4. Another menu pops up and here is where you can choose the file size of the photo. I?m using the Large 640 x 480 option.
5. A conformation menu pops up click the ?OK? button.

confermation.jpg

6. Now the photo resizes and shows up on the web site again. It is now 640 x 480 in size.

PB.jpg

7. At this point you can refer the above part of this post starting at #1 of ?Now they are uploaded? Then start posting from there.

Last edited:

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you find a mistake let me know the place it is so I can fix it. Happy posting!​

jevery

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Posting photos step by step with illustrations!

Good Lord, That's the most comprehensive and well done photo posting instructions I've ever seen. How many hours did you invest in that? That needs to be a sticky. Thanks

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good Lord, That's the most comprehensive and well done photo posting instructions I've ever seen. How many hours did you invest in that? That needs to be a sticky. Thanks

In all about four hours. I lead a very exciting life! :redface:

I use to do this for a living when I worked for the University of Iowa. Part of my job was writing software programs that monitored the network (68,000 computers, 16,000 phones, 8,000 pagers) Then I had to teach people how to use this software. That is where I got the idea from along with somebody asking ?Oops? how to post a photo the other night.

cbavier

Lieutenant

There's only one problem with this process. It doesn't work with Photobucket. At least it didn't for me. I watched the Video about four times and something is missing. When you click the link it doesn't pop up copied. So when you go to the next step to paste it into iboats all you get is a little white box with a red x

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

When you have the link highlighted hit Ctrl C to copy it to the clipboard, then Ctrl V to paste the link where you want it.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Rick I loaded 16 photos on photo bucket D is - [could you access photobucket and see if it looks ok Ed McCadam Thank you..

mark1961

Ensign

Not sure what im doing wrong but it doesnt work for me either way :(

When i try to upload from my computer i just get the "upload failed" in the attachment window. From photobucket the result is either a red x or "invalid file". The latter message happens when i resize first for some reason.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I believe the problem may be that the file is too big, anybody know the maximum size per image for the uploaded file? How do i reduce the size so they are suitable to be uploaded?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I watched your youtube video about posting pics and initially they load in quite nicely. When opening them another day, they were converted to placeholders with the red 'x'. I wonder what happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.