Possibly moving to a toon...

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class
So my wife is pregnant and we are going to move to a different boat since ours is a rough ride and we will have 2 little ones (1 nb and 1 2yo) come next season. We are considering a toon since they ride well and have plenty of room. I have a few questions though, we are looking at 20-24ft boats and I dont know what hp is needed to obtain 22-25mph. Also would this be a good route to go if we trailer everywhere? We usually boat the Ohio and put in about 45 minutes from our home, but we go to Cumberland and Norris a few times a year as well.
Also any other advice would be great.

We will be buying new and have been looking at sweetwater brand with yamaha motors.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Possibly moving to a toon...

Sweetwater's a good choice. If you're not likely to regularly have more than eight or so aboard 21'-22' will be just right, and 75-90 horseys should move you along at the speed you require. However, since you frequent the Ohio you'd probably be better off with a 90. You'll have no trouble towing a barge that size with a full sized tow vehicle; F150, Sierra, Ram, Expy, Suburban, etc. It will be a little different than what you're accustomed to due to the high boxy profile, but you'll be fine. Enjoy.:cool:

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Just as a reference, I have a 20' w/ a 50HP. My top speed is about 21 MPH (GPS). I would suspect you would want at least a 90HP, but bigger is always better. If you are buying new, the best deal is going to be a boat and motor package, and the dealer will usually put the biggest motor on that the boat is rated for. Unless the savings are substantial to get a smaller motor, I'd go bigger. Someday you will want to pull tubes and other water toys (maybe even small skiers) and the bigger motor will make that much more viable.

The last thing I have to add is about pontoons with three toons... Have you considered those? I have read good things about them in terms of speed and comfort.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You'll have no trouble trailering the pontoon.

Up to a 22', I would look at a 70 - 90 hp. For a 24 footer, I would look at a 90 - 115 hp.

My general recommendation is to obtain the largest engine that the boat was designed to accommodate. I've never heard anyone complain of too much power, but I've many complain of too little power.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a ram to tow with, I looked at the tri toons, but they are $$$.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes the tri toons are pricey. IMHO, the price of the tri toons do not justify the additional performance.

Another suggestion is to look at the used market. In today's economy, there are many super deals out there.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Yep. Extra toon = extra dollar sign:eek:. Down the road they'll probably all have three because they do significantly improve performance, but it doesn't sound like it would be worth it for you guys. Eglide's right though. There are lots of deals to be had out there, especially this time of year. Don't blame you for wanting new, but flexibility will be rewarded. Remember, unlike glass boats, there are very few issues that can be hidden on a barge, so buying used is less of a gamble.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

2 logs will serve you just fine, make sure they are at least 25" dia. if you go with a 22ft toon you won't want anything smaller than 90hp. We have a 22 with a 60hp 4stroke Yamaha and we get 21 mph by gps.

Buy used, you will get more for the money.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

2 logs will serve you just fine, make sure they are at least 25" dia.

Buy used, you will get more for the money.

What if they are not? The sweetwater has 23" dia. whats the difference?

No used, we want a new one.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Ideally the larger the toon diameter the more buoyancy, but I can't imagine one could tell much difference between 25" and 23". My old Godfrey had 23" toons and it was fine.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

We bought new, our first ever boat in June this year. I've spent my life fixing/building things, I didn't want to buy somebody elses problems and the new OB came with a 5 year warranty. :D

With two little ones do you want the enclosed potty/changing room?

I'm guessing you may want the tandem trailer, possibly with the anti-sway bar. I have a WDH on our TT and it's fantastic. It sways less than our PUP did.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

21' or smaller will be fine on a single axle trailer. Go with a tandem for anything larger.

Mr_Shamrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have a 22' Bennington with a Yamaha F150 and love it. It pulls a skier or tube very well. The boat on the showroom floor had a 115, but since the boat was rated for a 150 I went that route. The only downfall to the larger motor is the weight. Our boat leans slightly to the rear with the 150 back there. Of course, the gas tank, batteries, and huge cooler sit back there too. With 4 adults and 3 kids it will do 32 MPH with the top up on the GPS. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

21' or smaller will be fine on a single axle trailer. Go with a tandem for anything larger.

I may go this route either way, I prefer backing a tandem to a single.

Dkrager

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Go with the 25" tubes. It will be a better ride in rough water.

I would look towards the 90 hp.

22' and above, go with a double axle trailer with brakes.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Go with the 25" tubes. It will be a better ride in rough water.

I would look towards the 90 hp.

22' and above, go with a double axle trailer with brakes.

Yeah, over 21' requires two axles and brakes to be safe. And, I'll tell you this. I tow a 21' behind my Sierra 1500 and I can't imagine anything longer on one axle. I'm also VERY glad to have the surge brakes. My truck thanks me too.

fastback4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

2000 18foot Landau DX, 60HP Bigfoot Mercury, 21 pitch prop, 2 fishing seats upfront, one 30gal. livewell/cooler, Lounge area in rear, Covered toilet area, L shape seating with a padded sunning deck, 17gal. tank, 21mph @ 5,200 rpm

Children? We traded them for the pontoon!!

1roadking

Recruit

How much are you looking to spend? How long are you going group keep it? I spent extra and got mine exactly how I wanted it. Now I can keep it for 10 to 15 years. If you don't get What you want you will be looking again vto soon and resale on boats is no good. Just my opinion.

DJL50

Recruit

Maharg

I also am on the East side of Cincinnati (Eastgate) looking for a toon.
What dealer has Sweetwater brand? I am new to boating and don't know what dealer is good or not.

12Kennygee

Cadet

One other thing to consider instead of thhe 'toons is under deck skinnong with aluminum. It keeps wave action from slapping ribs under deck, Also consider decking material wood, composite, aluminum etc.
Most new ones come with a ten year warranty.
Alot of the newer ones also have the motor mounted on a " pod " 2-3' behind actual end of deck. these are nice with a "smoker 2-stroker"
and REAL nice and quiet with a 4-stroker.

we have a 22' with a 90 Yamaha 4- stroker ,neighbor a 22 foot 2 stroker 90 hp merc. His is maybe 2mph faster, but when just cruising they end up on ours. What ever You go with they are a great way for the family to boat together in comfort and generally in saftey , if the water does not get to rough.

Enjoy