possible to replace prop shaft seals without removing lower unit?

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Found the leak in my lower unit.... milky oil is seeping out of the prop shaft.

Has anyone devised a way to change these without dissasembly of the lower unit?

I was thinking a small sheet metal screw into each side of it and using a slide hammer to gently pull it out? Of course assembly would be rather easy....

Or, about what should I expect to pay to have it done?

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: possible to replace prop shaft seals without removing lower unit?

Make sure you have the same milky (and not aerated) oil in the actual gearcase before proceeding, as many a seal have been changed needlessly after seeing what could be described as "2 stroke drool" coming out.

Not sure if a seal change can be made without disassembly though.

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make sure you have the same milky (and not aerated) oil in the actual gearcase before proceeding, as many a seal have been changed needlessly after seeing what could be described as "2 stroke drool" coming out.

Not sure if a seal change can be made without disassembly though.

First thing I did after seeing it coming out the prop hub was check it at the gearcase drain.... same stuff, the prop seals are bad.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

You don't say what engine but almost ceratinly you can change the prop shaft seals without removing or dismantling the unit.

What you suggest might work ... in fact used it to change on oil seals on car engines but they are a bit bigger. Drill two small holes screw in two self tapping screws, grip those and pull!

However there are probably two seals in there fitted back to back so you may be looking at pulling them both together.

Last time I changed the prop shaft seals on mine they required quite a bit of knocking out. I would not have been able to pull them in the above manner.

The housing or bearing carrier should come out after removing its retaining screws then the seals can be knocked out and new ones fitted.
You'll need a new O ring for the housing/ carrier and depending on the model new seals for its screws as well.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Make you a threaded seal remover from a piece of steel conduit the inside diameter of shaft your working on. Thread it with a pipe threaded and grind thread down to a taper. I had one I used to replace crankshft seal on 15-25 hp motor but loaned it out and never got it back. Here is picture on how it would be made. Below is qoute from tool site:
"This special service tool was developed for the proper removal of the Gear Box Main Oil Seal. At the working end of this tool is a spiral "Barbed Type" thread which secures into the inner part of the oil seal w/o damage to any vehicle part. The grab is one direction. Trying to do this task with any other method is risking a total transmission failure by way of a damaged oil seal housing"

Attachments

• P252.jpg
    P252.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 6

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make you a threaded seal remover from a piece of steel conduit the inside diameter of shaft your working on. Thread it with a pipe threaded and grind thread down to a taper. I had one I used to replace crankshft seal on 15-25 hp motor but loaned it out and never got it back. Here is picture on how it would be made. Below is qoute from tool site:
"This special service tool was developed for the proper removal of the Gear Box Main Oil Seal. At the working end of this tool is a spiral "Barbed Type" thread which secures into the inner part of the oil seal w/o damage to any vehicle part. The grab is one direction. Trying to do this task with any other method is risking a total transmission failure by way of a damaged oil seal housing"

yeah that's a Porche transmission seal removal tool.... I think finding a pipe with the correct inside and outside diameter (ouside large enough to get into the metal part of the seal...) while still being able to get over the shaft on a bigger engine (40hp) might be a challenge. I have a pipe threader... but I'd be worried about getting enough grip on the second seal without the "puller" getting into the bearing behind it due to the taper...

Perhaps I can make one with a short taper... I've got a seal kit on the way so I'll use one of the new seals to get good measurements from and chuck a piece of pipe up in the lathe and see what I can do... I'm thinking if the end of the taper is just shy of metal body inside dia I might get a quick "bite" with the threads... I've not had one of these apart before so I don't know about clearance issues with the bearing... otherwise there'd be a lot less guess work

If the inner bearing boss was large enough you couuld actually use it as fulcrum of sorts and "screw" the seals out if you could get enough of a bite....

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the seals out... it was actually very easy. I drilled 4 1/8" holes, top bottom and each side. and popped them out.

Took all of 10 minutes.

BTW the seals in case anyone else ever needs to do this are part number CR 9826 CR stands for chicago rawhide which is the mfg. SKF also makes this same seal. You can buy these at most any bearing shop or even NAPA auto parts store for about $4 each.

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the seals out... it was actually very easy. I drilled 4 1/8" holes, top bottom and each side. and popped them out.

Took all of 10 minutes.

BTW the seals in case anyone else ever needs to do this are part number CR 9826 CR stands for chicago rawhide which is the mfg. SKF also makes this same seal. You can buy these at most any bearing shop or even NAPA auto parts store for about $4 each.

Very good informational post, I was going to experiment on a spare LU now you answer my question ...Thanks