Possible to get Yamaha speedometer output to show up on Garmin chartplotter?

wild.coast

Cadet
I understand that my 2014 Yamaha F50LB has a speedometer output that you can connect to one of those overpriced Yamaha gauges. But is it possible to connect this to a Garmin chartplotter (ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv)?

I tried to search online but didn't come across anything obvious, thanks so much for the help!!

wild.coast

Cadet
Figured this out I think, posting in case someone else is trying to do this.

There is a standard communication standard called NMEA 2000 for marine electronics which most devices like Garmin work with. The Yamaha outboard does NOT have an NMEA2000 output, but you can get a conversion cable.

Yamaha has a 'CommandLink' output, which you can connect to the Yamaha CommandLink BUS. I think this is literally NMEA2000 undercover, just overpriced and using proprietary connections lol.

Instead of using this overpriced stuff, just get a Lawrence brand cable which is connects to outboard on one end and NMEA bus on the other end. Then just get a 'NMEA2000 starter kit' with a few of the T-connectors to create the bus, wire to power and to the garmin unit and you're golden.

A few Youtube videos that explain this well:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The Yamaha outboard does NOT have an NMEA2000 output, but you can get a conversion cable.
The Y2K connection (4 pin) on a Yamaha is separate from CommandLink, CommandLink plus.

Just need the 4 pin to Y2K cable adaptor to connect to the Y2K back bone
Yamaha has a 'CommandLink' output, which you can connect to the Yamaha CommandLink BUS. I think this is literally NMEA2000 undercover, just overpriced and using proprietary connections lol.
CommandLink and CommandLink Plus are not Y2K undercover.

CL and CLP use different PGN to provided additional engine data and displays. You need a CL or CLP convertor to decode the additional data sets for use with Y2K

FWIW…you might want to investigate the availability of “boat speed” via Y2K on your particular motor. The data chart I’m looking at lists “boat speed” is only available via CLP

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, my chartplotter tells me the GPS speed as a normal feature, no speedometer needed.