possible new power

glennrow

Petty Officer 3rd Class
since the 1991 120hp is toast. i found a 1990 150 hp on craigs list. the owner has already taken the motor off his boat ( purchased a new 4 stroke ) so he sent a video of the engine running ( taken in april of this year ). the cost is $1200 and includes a tach, extra prop and chalmer manual. the compression test has the following results; #1 - 125; 2 - 150; 3 - 150; 4 - 140; 5 - 100 how do these numbers look to you guys?

Kajun37

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: possible new power

did the guy have a wellcraft V20? and repowered with a etec?

glennrow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yes he did - anything i should know about this guy or motor. seems like a pretty good guy. thanks for the reply

glennrow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

kajan, i just read your profile. thanks for your service. do you know jamie staudenraus ( diving instructor who just recently moved it the base in italy )? he was stationed in panama beach

4runneradam

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those compression numbers are way off. A good engine should have no more than 5-10 percent difference between the cylinders. You have as high as a 50% difference.

That motor needs a rebuild.

glennrow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Those compression numbers are way off. A good engine should have no more than 5-10 percent difference between the cylinders. You have as high as a 50% difference.

That motor needs a rebuild.

could it be nothing more than a head gasket? im trying to stay positive here.

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

The compression numbers don't look good. You never want more than a 10 lb psi difference between cylinders. Personally, I would pass on it since it will surely need an overhaul.

skibug

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Compression numbers don't look good. I would pass on that one. My 120 has constant 150psi across the board. Could be worn rings, or a number of things.

My suggestion is to do exactly what he did and repower with a later model 4 stroke.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Its possible that its a head gasket, but stay positive with your own engines. With someone else's engine and your money, be pessimistic--after all, who would be the loser? You! I agree with the others. Pass on this engine.

valencehsift

Seaman

The engine is in need of work. Those numbers are not good. Better off investing for piece of mind and safety. It will cause headaches otherwise. Unless it is very cheap and your willing to invest time and money, then maybe, but I wouldn't do it. Invest a little, be worry free and on the water much faster!!!! By the way, I sold my 1989 Force 150, good compression on all cylinders, all controls and prop for $950 CDN

Last edited: