Possible Fuel Pump Issue

I have a 2001 Four Winns 180LE with a 4.3L GL. I was on the lake Saturday with my family (it was finally warm enough and not raining) and we were having a great day wakeboarding. After about two hours of wakeboarding, we decided we would pull into a cove to swim and relax. After floating for about an hour, we decided to go tubing. I hooked the tube up, started the engnie, and idled out of the cove. At this point, everything was still fine. However, when I turned the corner and went to give her some gas, the engine sputtered and died. I tried to refire it multiple times, but I could tell from the sound of the engine it wasn't getting any fuel. I eventually threw the anchor again and took off the flame arrestor and had my brother look down the carb to see if any fuel was being injected as I pumped the throttle (with the key on of course). He wasn't seeing anything. I then decided to take the fuel line off of the carb coming from the pump. Again, no fuel. At that point I gave in and flagged down another boat for a tow.

Here is where it gets interesting. About half way back to the ramp, I decided to give it another try. I gave the throttle a couple pumps, turned the key, and sure enough it started. I had this same scenario happen towards the end of last year, but the only way I was able to get it to restart was to dump fuel down the carb the next morning. I changed the fuel filter during winterization, so I am pretty sure that is not the problem. Last year I thought it might be vapor lock as it was a very hot day and we had run her very hard for an extended period of time before stopping in the cove, but I was under the impression that engines with electric fuel pumps don't vapor lock and it was only about 85 out Saturday. I also read another old post here in the Four Winns area about a '96 with similar issue that turned out to be a "one way siphon valve", but I'm not sure what this is or if my 2001 has one.

Any ideas? I haven't dug into it yet, so I thought I'd ask for any thoughts before I start spending money on a new parts.

Thanks!!!

Powelling

Cadet
Re: Possible Fuel Pump Issue

I had the same thing happen to me only mine would restart..

Mine is a Volvo 5.0 there is a small fuel tank under the high pressure fuel pump. It is water cooled it has a 3/8 water line and it was plugged.
The fuel was overheating while not running and with no water to cool it back down it was vaporizing tell cool fuel could get in and cool it down.

I just blew it out with compressed air be sure to blow out the fittings too