posible overheating problem

josern

Cadet
Have a 5.7 GI-D with an XS outdrive. With the ear muff connected water full blast. Engine goes to 180 and keeps creaping up. Replaced raw water pump with a new one. Still same. Dealer claims there is not enough pressure, and or volume with a water hose, ??. Where is the water supposed to come out? I have not used this boat for more than 3yrs.
Only have 49.5 hrs on it.:confused:

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: posible overheating problem

There is more than enough pressure and volume of water from a hose. When you replaced the raw water pump did you replace the impeller also? Have you pulled the thermostat to make sure it is functioning and passages are not blocked off? Water should be coming out of the exhaust bellows and prop hub mostly.

This link is in the stickies and is a good way to test the cooling system to find where your problem is.
http://www.4shared.com/file/50572185/e88f1d89/Volvo_Penta_Overheat_Diagnosis.html

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is more than enough pressure and volume of water from a hose.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Neen it happen with 60 psi of water pressure, but had 100 ft of 5/8" hose. Just wasn't enough water at the end to do the job. With a 50' hose, no problem.

Set the boat in the water and see if it pumps. Have you had any serious overheats?

josern

Cadet

There is more than enough pressure and volume of water from a hose. When you replaced the raw water pump did you replace the impeller also? Have you pulled the thermostat to make sure it is functioning and passages are not blocked off? Water should be coming out of the exhaust bellows and prop hub mostly.

This link is in the stickies and is a good way to test the cooling system to find where your problem is.
http://www.4shared.com/file/50572185/e88f1d89/Volvo_Penta_Overheat_Diagnosis.html

Well I did not mention I replaced the thermostat as well, I do have a lot of water come out if I remove any hose from the thermostat. So as I understand water should come out the prop center ??. Now it is coming between transom and the outdrive there are two holes there. To go to the lake I will have a 100 mile drive. The risers do not seem too hot, I can keep my hands on them. I can run the motor for about 15 min without any sign of overheating, from there on you can see temp starting to creep-up. I turn the motor off before reaching 190. The impeller was replaced eventho it was just as good as the new one same part no. There are no leaks of water anyware.
When I last used was winterized with the red anty freeze used for RVs. Motor flushed and drained then filled up with the anty freeze, used about 2.5 gallons.

josern

Cadet

Well I did not mention I replaced the thermostat as well, I do have a lot of water come out if I remove any hose from the thermostat. So as I understand water should come out the prop center ??. Now it is coming between transom and the outdrive there are two holes there. To go to the lake I will have a 100 mile drive. The risers do not seem too hot, I can keep my hands on them. I can run the motor for about 15 min without any sign of overheating, from there on you can see temp starting to creep-up. I turn the motor off before reaching 190. The impeller was replaced eventho it was just as good as the new one same part no. There are no leaks of water anyware.
When I last used was winterized with the red anty freeze used for RVs. Motor flushed and drained then filled up with the anty freeze, used about 2.5 gallons.

Do I have flapers on the exost elbows?? Should water and exost gases mix at the exit??.
Now it seems that exost gases come out the square holes at the side of outdrive, and no water comes out with it.
Water comes between transom and outdrive. Too big holes.

Don S

Volvo stopped using flappers on those back in 96. Besides, they couldn't cause an overheat if the wanted to.

Now it seems that exost gases come out the square holes at the side of outdrive, and no water comes out with it.

They might be oval shaped or round, but they are not square. Called idle relief ports.

Here's the trick with the water flow, it mixes with exhaust at the elbows. Then out the transom and drive. If there is no water going in or it's getting stopped somewhere inside the engine or manifold or whatever and not out. You have a problem you have to find.

Skydive posted a link to the overheat diagnostic, have you read it?

josern

Cadet

Ok. what I understand is I should get water to come out the prop, right? There is plenty of water coming out the transom (relieve outlet), and no water though the prop. Exost gases come on the side of the outdrive. What is wrong?

josern

Cadet

Volvo stopped using flappers on those back in 96. Besides, they couldn't cause an overheat if the wanted to.

They might be oval shaped or round, but they are not square. Called idle relief ports.

Here's the trick with the water flow, it mixes with exhaust at the elbows. Then out the transom and drive. If there is no water going in or it's getting stopped somewhere inside the engine or manifold or whatever and not out. You have a problem you have to find.

Skydive posted a link to the overheat diagnostic, have you read it?

Yes, I did. hate to drive 100 miles to the lake... Well tomorow I'll heck on the water relief outlet to read temp of water, and see i I can run a rod that I have that is 8 ft long and flexible to see if it will go all the way in. If I remove the hose that comes from the exost y past the elbows I should be able to feel if there is an obstruction there. Right? I will let you know what happens. Thanks for all your help. I need it

Don S

There is nothing in that system that can plug up the exhaust enough to cause an overheat. If there was, it would plug up the exhaust and the engine wouldn't run.
You have a problem with water delivery to the pump or something plugged up in the manifolds or elbows. But not in the Y pipe.

Best to pull your boat home where you can work on it. This is not a 1 fix cures all type problem. You could have one or a combination of many problems causing your problem.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

have you checked things like fowling of the power steering cooler?

josern

Cadet

WHere can I fin a schematic for the cooling on this engine.?? Where is the power steering cooler?. Does it have a hose to it?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

power steering cooler is between the pickup and the raw water pump. just follow the lines.

rocky t

Cadet

i kinda had had the same problem after replacing all the hoses on my motor. does your motor have a closed cooling system?

Taz59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you not put the leg in a large plastic drum,fill with water and leave the hose pipe switched on inside the tub,this is what I have to do as the water pressure on our caravan site is to low,make sure the water level is above the intake holes.

rocky t

Cadet

this was my expierence with a similar problem. you said that you drained the block and filled it back up. my cooling system has a heat exchanger on it. after replacing all the hoses for the cooling system and the water pump, when i took the water pump off my block drained comptley. put everything back together, filled the system with coolant, started the motor, and it started to overheat, i ended up having air in my cooling system, so it started the engine and let the thermostat open and the temp started to rise, so i grabbeb the raideator hose that was on the water pump, not the raw water pump, and squeezed it on and off about 4 to 5 times, temp went back to normal. no heating problems since. i was told that sometimes you have to "burge" or "burp" the system after draining it. i dont know what kind of cooling system you have on you boat, but this worked for me. hope its works for you.

josern

Cadet

Well it went like this. removed all hoses washed them, wash all I could get into, then put all back the same way. back flushed the power steering for a long while, and ran clean water through the system. Ran the engine at 1000 rpm. temp went to just a tad over 175. Well I got an Infrared thermometer reader, and took reading in all the places I could (4 or 5 times to be on the safe side). The highest tem reading was at the thermostat right at 160, it never went up or down. Heads were 150 . risers at 140-142 the water hoses at 143, the water coming out was at 140. However since there was still no water coming out the prop, I called again the marina where I use to take the boat, The female mechanic said again," there is not enough water presure and or volume in your water hose ( you must be using a 5/8in hose and that is why no water comes out the prop and if you rev to 1500-2000 temp might come up. The hole were the water comes out is too big and water will come out there. You need more volume of water and more pressure. She said to test and reasure me that there was no blockage. to fill the propeller with water and I would see water come out the same hole, by the transome and the rear of the outdrive, sure enough water came out like she said. She mention that the temp gauge might be going bad and would need a new one or the temp sending unit might be bad.
Of course she offered their services and would replace temp gauge or sending unit or both if needed.
To take the boat to the lake and runned really good, and I would see there is no overheating.
I would like to Thank all of you, who gave solutions and offered to help without knowing me.
I REALLY appreciate all your help.
THANKS again JOSE.

JOSE.