Portable Gas Tank Sending Unit

Texas Tarheel

Recruit
Lund 1625 Fury XL gas tank does not have a gas tank sending unit. You have to read the indicator at the tank. Want to put a gauge on the dash. Cannot just add a sending unit because the gas tank neck does not have a collar to bolt to. Once had a bass boat that had a sending unit added to the cap itself. Does anyone know of an after market gauge that would work for this? I do not want to drill holes around the neck and try to add a collar for many reasons.

alldodge

Staff member
Can you post a pic of the gauge on the tank?
Depending on how the current one is installed, might be able to do something

gm280

Supreme Mariner
This IS interesting. I am presently working on what seems like that exact same situation. I have the standard older 6 gallon metal OMC fuel tank(s). And I too am working on installing a reed type sensor setup in the tank for the dash gas gauge as well. I actually made an adapter to install a typical five screw pattern sensor into the top of the metal tank. And that was my first idea. However, not really wanting to cut a hole into this prefect tank, I am now looking to take that reed sensor and install it through the filler cap itself.

I drilled out the center riveting fastener and disassembled the cap. More parts to those caps then you would think. The problem doing that is the reed sensor is larger in diameter then the hole in the cap. So I am presently looking at cutting the top section of the reed sensor to allow the tube section to slide in that opening. And that is where I stand right now.

That idea would allow any 6 gallon (or larger and/or smaller) metal tank be used and the sensor cap tighten down on the tank. I also am using a stainless steel BNC connector at that cap so when I remove the tank to fill it up, the wiring is easily disconnected.. And that is my plan to give me the portability and fuel gauge option at the front panel. And the replacement caps are not that hard to find either...

Texas Tarheel

Recruit
Issue worsened. Engine (Mercury 40 EFI) was starving and the fuel ball was collapsed. Had mechanic look at this and after contacting West Marine he cut off the fuel mechanism on the wall and ran the line direct from tank to engine. Then he cracked the fuel cap in order to vent the tank. This is a 12 gal Attwood plastic, unvented tank. I had already replaced the equalizer and the fuel line and still had the problem. This was after cleaning and rebuilding the fuel pump and the separator. Very expensive solution for an unvented tank. For the sending unit, I finally just unscrewed the gauge at the tank, used plastic epoxy to put the sending unit gasket on the tank, ran a pink electrical line to the new gauge on the console and connected it to my new fuse block. We'll see.

That brings me to my next problem. Want to add a tach, voltmeter, and tilt gauge. To do this I need to access the wiring harness that terminates at the remote throttle on the right side. I assume I remove the throttle and then the panel that hides the electrical harness and steering cables. I cannot determine how to do this. Anyone been through this with a Lund 1625 Fury XS?

alldodge

Staff member
I would suggest starting a new thread in the Mercury OB section, will get more looking